Jay Street Elevators Update

For the past one or two years, the MTA has installed new elevators at the Jay Street-Borough Hall station. This week, the plywood surrounding the elevators were removed, giving a clear view of the new elevators. They are still not in service, yet. They are by the Wiloughby exit, not at Myrtle or by Fulton. The NB elevator is situated next to the newest Wiloughby exit, right next to the future passageway under Wiloughby to Lawrence Street Station. The SB elevator is at around car 5 or 6 (on a 60 footer). The street elevator is also revealed. There is no gate being installed to surround it from the fare paid area. The door opens immediately to the fare control area and customers would have to swing left to fare control. Again, the street elevator is on the NW corner of Wiloughby and Jay.

Furthermore, work is still being done at the Fulton end, so most construction efforts are either at Fulton or the passageway. The Fulton end is being reconstructed. Also a new staircase by the first car on the NB end is going to be opened. It leads to the area formerly occupied by the token booth at the Myrtle end.

The elevators can go in service any time this month.

Thanks for the update. I passed by Jay Street every day heading to school, and IMO there's good progress

Yeah, there is great progress going on. The Fulton exit should open around this summer.

Wow, that is good news at least, did it smell like fresh new steel right out from the steelworks?

Two things: It's still surrounded, so you can't access it currently. And second, the elevators have been installed for months. So they're technically not new.

I can't wait to see the elevators in service, that would be really convenient, so that the (A)(C)(F) riders can have more options now.

On a side note: Hey, Kevin, not trying to be rude, however think before you say something, will you?

Same. They might enter service today, at the earliest, I think. I'll give you an update this afternoon.

Same. They might enter service today, at the earliest, I think. I'll give you an update this afternoon.

Megabus, I created this thread not for the intent for it to become a playground. I just want to put an update for everyone. Either be mature and post something intelligent, or take your inane stuff elsewhere so that other members do not have to deal with hijacked threads.

When can we expect to see the transfer from Jay st to Lawrence st opened up?

When can we expect to see the transfer from Jay st to Lawrence st opened up?

Most likely at the end of the year.

It should be substantially complete by this year. But from the documents, they say the first quarter of 2011. So I would say sometime around Q4 this year, to Q2 of next year. Give that window. The South Ferry project was delayed by a year and something, while the Cortlandt reopening was said to be ahead of schedule.

At the Wiloughby concourse, you can peep into the plywood and check stuff out. But, you're not going to see the bulk of the construction work. They should be testing the escalators (because the passageway is situated above the Wiloughby tunnel) pretty soon.

What's the status of it? I know Columbus Cir. just came online as accessible a couple weeks ago, which I'm sure will be really useful, I'll be back in NYC next week, staying with friends in Brooklyn on the (S) between the (C) and (:)(Q), and if it's accessible that would absolutely rock for transfer to the (F) when the (B) isn't in service, sinve I'm in a wheelchair. Accessible only to a cross-platform transfer? Bi-directional transfer? Accessible to street level?

Thank you :(.

What's the status of it? I know Columbus Cir. just came online as accessible a couple weeks ago, which I'm sure will be really useful, I'll be back in NYC next week, staying with friends in Brooklyn on the (S) between the (C) and (:)(Q), and if it's accessible that would absolutely rock for transfer to the (F) when the (B) isn't in service, sinve I'm in a wheelchair. Accessible only to a cross-platform transfer? Bi-directional transfer? Accessible to street level?

Thank you :(.

As of yesterday (I wasn't at Jay today), passengers still cannot use the elevators because they are not ready. There will be THREE in total in the station proper (not counting the passageway or Lawrence). (A)(C)(F) has always been a cross platform interchange, thus they share one platform in each direction. Each of these two platforms have one elevator that goes up to the mezzanine. From the mezzanine, just out of fare control, is the elevator that takes passengers to the northwest corner of Wiloughby and Jay.

Again, they are still not open yet. Perhaps next week. I will provide updates.

Elevators still don't like ready yet. However, I peeped through the plywood facing the passageway. One the level of the IND mezzanine it looks like it will be at least 40 feet long. The width is at least 15 feet. I can't see any provisions for stairs, escalators or elevators yet for the passageway. It looks very cluttered.

As of yesterday, the elevators are now open.

You've beat me to it! Yes, the elevators are operating. I took a ride myself on them. Nothing really special. No smell of course, but the odour is just a few weeks to months away.

Other Jay Street updates:

-the southern most stairs from the platforms look ready to be opened; they are not being surrounded by blue plywood. They were recently reconstructed.

-Stanchions on the uptown platform on the (F) side are being repainted (uniform red). This was done during the (F) to Euclid GOs.

Work is quickly winding down at Jay Street, the only work that they are focusing now are at Fulton Street with the entrances, and the lead to the transfer corridor.

Also, on the uptown (F) side, the roof has some cracks. Paint chips are evident. Perhaps this would be addressed in the upcoming GO.

As for the passageway, I peeped thru the hole in the plywood and previous estimates of 40 feet are indeed incorrect. The thing looks like it is 50-70 feet long. Nothing's special in there, you can't even see the stairs from the Jay Street Mezzanine. It's still a mess.

Archived