I Won On ebay!

What I won is a nice condition hardcover copy of New York Subway by Interborough Rapid Transit for $5.00.

The book has the dust jacket (a little age worn, but still nice looking) featuring a 1904 I.R.T. subway car surrounded by drawings of I.R.T. kiosks.

Inside is a 1904 I.R.T. map showing both the new subway line and the Second, Third, Sixth and Ninth Avenue Els with stations. and the story with photos of the building of the first subway line from City Hall to 145th Street and Broadway, 145th Street and Lenox Avenue and East 180th Street. The book describes an extension to West 242d Street and Broadway and an extension to Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn.

Because the book is hard cover and large size, eBay estimates shipping will take 17-24 business days.

• 2 weeks later...

The book arrived today. It is a large size book - maybe 13 inches tall and 9 inches wide. 154 pages.

The title page reads:

Interborough

Rapid Transit

The New York Subway

Its' Construction And Equipment

(I.R.T. Logo) - I*R*T in a scroll over a subway car with large wings from under each side of the car.

New York

Interborough Rapid Transit Company

Anno. Domi. MCMIV

Table Of Contents

Introduction

Chapter I The Route Of The Road; Passenger Stations And Tracks

Chapter II Types And Methods Of Construction

Chapter III Power House Building

Chapter IV Power Plant From Coal Pile To Shafts Of Engines And Turbines

Chapter V System Of Electrical Supply

Chapter VI Electrical Equipment Of Cars

Chapter VII Lighting System For Passenger Stations And Tunnel

Chapter VIII Rolling Stock-Cars, Trucks, Etc.

Chapter IX Signal System

Chapter X Subway Drainage

Chapter XI Repair And Inspection Shed

Chapter XII Subcontractors

The I.R.T. map is on pages 24 and 25 across the top. The cartographer depicted Marble Hill as a small island between Manhattan and The Bronx. The station is at "Muscoota" Street and Broadway, between 215th Street and the terminal at Bailey Avenue and Kingsbridge.

Chapter V contains an interesting discussion of the third rail with some interesting technical diagrams. One of these is Assembly Of Third Rail And Protection, drawn large to show detail of the rail and board.

Archived