N train problem

Hey, I'm currently on a coney is bound N just out of the 4th avenue tunnel, under 6th avenue in Brooklyn. We went BIE at about noon (30 minutes ago at this writing). The brakes charge, but we get no propulsion. Anybody have an idea of what's gong on?

Sorry, I was a bit tired after the whole ordeal. We were there until about 1:00PM. They had what seemed to be three RCI's, another T/O, and a TSS come out to the train.

The train's brakes would charge up, and then when the T/O tried to move the train, the brakes would release and the train would roll backwards, since it was on the incline out of the portal. Power wasn't going to the motors for some reason. Eventually, the RCI's ran to the conductor's position and a few minutes later, the train jerked forward about two feet and then backward to it's original position. They got the train moving soon after, but every time it would, I guess "shift gears", it would jerk violently, so it never got above 10 MPH. Of course, they put the train out of service at 8 Avenue.

That's brings up an issue I notice on the R160s. If anyone takes the (N) south of 36th Street, almost always they will notice that as the train leaves 36th Street, the train jerks just about when the lead truck of each car reaches the third rail gap (almost as if that motor loses power and then a secondary system kicks in, but the delay is long enough to cause the train to jerk). This is a noticeable jerk, you hear a bunch of banging and cracking under the train and people lose their balance. Only when the T/O cuts power and has most of the train leave the station before reapplying power does this problem get "solved".

I don't think this is good for the R160, or for it's longevity. Constant sudden breaking of power and jerking can take its toll on the machinery, and might cause major issues with the train. A possibility in today's case, I don't know, but I wouldn't rule it out.

P.S. I was going to catch a OOS (V) that they were sending to CI Yard at 8th Avenue (I saw it at 34th/Herald on the Broadway line and it was right behind us the whole time), but the train I was on was in the way, and I was too tired.

Archived