Horn Honking

Robert Bosco

Why do T/O's have to honk when they skip a station?

Two "honks" indicates that they are going to bypass the station. They must do it to notify people in the area, including passengers and employees - if you'll notice they do it when going through a work zone as well - to step back away from the train as it passes through. The T/O MUST slow down to 15 MPH before leaving the station despite bypassing, and if it's a work zone must slow down to less than 10 MPH through the ENTIRE work zone (until the work crew's flags no longer govern him) and be prepared to stop for anyone or anything.

Ironically, a lot of passengers don't know that two pulls of the horn means that the train is bypassing the station, and when the T/O starts slowing down (to 15 MPH), they all start walking closer to the train, thinking he's going to stop.

Two "honks" indicates that they are going to bypass the station. They must do it to notify people in the area, including passengers and employees - if you'll notice they do it when going through a work zone as well - to step back away from the train as it passes through. The T/O MUST slow down to 15 MPH before leaving the station despite bypassing, and if it's a work zone must slow down to less than 10 MPH through the ENTIRE work zone (until the work crew's flags no longer govern him) and be prepared to stop for anyone or anything.

Ironically, a lot of passengers don't know that two pulls of the horn means that the train is bypassing the station, and when the T/O starts slowing down (to 15 MPH), they all start walking closer to the train, thinking he's going to stop.

Its more than just two honks, as per rule it's a "series" of short blast of your train horn, not just two honks..

I dont know who told you that but its wrong information.

Normally if you got work gangs in a station limits you most likey wont enter anyway until all are clear and the Flagger on the portable trips gives you the procced signal..

Done this myself as i was by-passing a station...

Its more than just two honks, as per rule it's a "series" of short blast of your train horn, not just two honks..

I dont know who told you that but its wrong information.

Normally if you got work gangs in a station limits you most likey wont enter anyway until all are clear and the Flagger on the portable trips gives you the procced signal..

Done this myself as i was by-passing a station...

Wow my bad...yes they DO sound the horn more than once...I wasn't thinking when I wrote that first part.

What I should of said / meant to say was Most of the time i see T/O's doing it the blasts are PAIRED in twos, like "honk honk" pause "honk honk" and so on, that's what I meant with what I said about "twos"...

But since you said the rule was "series" of short blasts, does that mean pairing the blasts in twos isn't part of the rule, and its just the way some T/O's prefer to do it? Only reason i ask this is because I always thought "2" was the sound for forward motion, kind of like when the CR buzzes twice after closing down at a terminal station

Wow my bad...yes they DO sound the horn more than once...I wasn't thinking when I wrote that first part.

What I should of said / meant to say was Most of the time i see T/O's doing it the blasts are PAIRED in twos, like "honk honk" pause "honk honk" and so on, that's what I meant with what I said about "twos"...

But since you said the rule was "series" of short blasts, does that mean pairing the blasts in twos isn't part of the rule, and its just the way some T/O's prefer to do it? Only reason i ask this is because I always thought "2" was the sound for forward motion, kind of like when the CR buzzes twice after closing down at a terminal station

It can be done any way i do it three times then a pause then three times again..

Honk honk honk pause for a second, honk honk honk as i go through the station..

That "2" sound has nothing to do with the C/R buzzing or forward motion..

It can be done any way i do it three times then a pause then three times again..

Honk honk honk pause for a second, honk honk honk as i go through the station..

That "2" sound has nothing to do with the C/R buzzing or forward motion..

OK. Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah. I heard it while sitting in the 1st car on a N/B douce, when I was working at West Farms, and had to pick that day. They were skipping stations. Only stopped at 180, Gun Hill, Nereid, and 241st which was where my vehicle was parked (didn't want to drive all the way to WF).

Archived