Why are there buses parked away from the depot in the city?

Joel Up Front

I rode my bike ALL THE WAY to Jamaica Center - or at least, around the area, because it was getting late and I couldn't find it - but I passed by Jamaica Depot (Merrick Blvd. side) on the way, and of course there were buses going in and out.

But as I rode under the elevated tracks (presumably for the LIRR), there were buses scattered all around - I didn't know if they were broken or just parked there for no real reason. Also a block away from the depot were two RTS buses parked on the damn sidewalk - the left side of one was already protruding some 3 feet onto the road.

I did manage to see the 165th Street Terminal; there was only ONE LIB, and it was deadheading back to LI, all the passengers were waiting by the N6 bay while the back LED sign showed three little dashes... and it looks like an old loading bay for the supermarket there.

I've seen buses parked at Hempstead and various LIRR stations, but never on the streets of NYC.

I also ran by several little garages - there was the chassis and burned remains of an '08 Nissan Maxima, and closer to Jamaica Center, a block all covered in JDM RX-7s (complete with right hand drive steering wheel and no plates) and old Toyota Supras...

When I was younger, I remember seeing buses on the side walks all the time! I remember seeing West Side Depot (Manhattan) buses parked all over the sidewalks and on islands in the middle of the street. I also remember ENY buses on curbs and sidewalks all over Brooklyn as a child too.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

At ENY, there's buses parked all over the area including at...

-The lot on Atlantic Av

-in front of the depot, including on the sidewalk (2 wide)

-on Broadway

-on Bushwick Av

-the lot under the (L) train

-on Jamaica Av

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

At ENY, there's buses parked all over the area including at...

-The lot on Atlantic Av

-in front of the depot, including on the sidewalk (2 wide)

-on Broadway

-on Bushwick Av

-the lot under the (L) train

-on Jamaica Av

Yeah, there are still buses all over the place throughout the city. But back in the day curbs and islands were the terminals for mucho RTS'. You should have seen ENY then! I miss those days so much! Air starters and DD 6V's all day and night!!!

Archived