Can anybody tell me how the zone system works?

Livingston

Hey guys,

I take the Hudson Bergen Light Rail all the time, but I never took the bus before. Im trying to get to Edgewater, and normally I drive my car, but the parking lot is so packed all the time to the place I go that I figured it would probably be easier taking transit to get there. So my dilemma is, I know to take Lightrail to Port Imperial, then switch to the NJ transit #158, but how does the fare system work? I was reading online about zones and transfers from light rail to bus, but how does it work?

I have to pass through two zones, and I was reading about the transfer from train to bus but it says its only valid for one zone, so how would I get a transfer for a two zone bus ride?

And lastly, how does the bus driver know how many zones you are going through? Does it work on an honor system? Or is there some way they can keep track of the zones you pass through?

Sorry im all new to this 'zoning' idea so I have no idea what exactly to do.

Thank you so much!

Hi Livingston, You tell the B/O on a NJ Transit bus your destination and he/she will calculate how many zones for your fare. For example: You board a #81 bus at Ocean Avenue and Union Street in Jersey City and tell the B/O you're going to Avenue C and West 50th Street in Bayonne. He or she will calculate the two zone fare from Jersey City to Bayonne. Don't` forget to take your receipt for your ride.

I ran a test trip from Jersey City to Edgewater using HBLR and the #158 and NJ Transit's trip planner came back with $0 for rail and $2.95 for bus plus 70 cents for the transfer fee, so apparently one way fare from Exchange Place HBLR to Edgewater is $3.65.

AFAIKO, There isn't a "two zone" transfer. The transfer covers one zone on the connecting route. You would then pay for the additional zone/zones beyond the first one.

Hi Livingston, You tell the B/O on a NJ Transit bus your destination and he/she will calculate how many zones for your fare. For example: You board a #81 bus at Ocean Avenue and Union Street in Jersey City and tell the B/O you're going to Avenue C and West 50th Street in Bayonne. He or she will calculate the two zone fare from Jersey City to Bayonne. Don't` forget to take your receipt for your ride.

But how does the B/O know that someone didn't buy a one-zone fare and ride over the zone barrier?

The B/O's do keep track of people as they can.

The light rail requires minimum 49 dollar or 2 zone pass, with 2 zones you can ride the light rail, including newark light rail & HBLR as much as you want. The zones for busses are demarcated by dotted lines on bus route maps.

The comment about transfer train to bus means NJT rail, not light rail. Light rail actually falls under the bus operations umbrella, the heavy rail operations are separate. My girlfriend gets to work from bayonne to newark airport with a 2 zone bus pass & metrocard for PATH.

Shouldnt be more than 2 zones, but ask the B/O and you can pay the difference 1st time, then i'd say go to hoboken and get a 3 zoner.

For an example, we traveled to broad street station on newark light rail, then hopped the go 28 to the airport at broad street station.

- A

But how does the B/O know that someone didn't buy a one-zone fare and ride over the zone barrier?

That's a good question. I imagine that a person could board a bus such as the #88 at, say, Beacon Avenue and The Boulevard and tell the B/O he's going to Hague Street and The Boulevard, pay $1.50 fare (one zone) and exit via the back door at, say, 20th Street and The Boulevard in Union City (which would be a two zone $2.35 fare).

But I think there are ways that counter this as NJ Transit has something called an "Override Fee" which B/O's are encharged to collect when a rider travels further than he/she paid for.

Here is information on NJ Transit's "Override Fee":

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/BusRiderGuide.pdf

The B/O's do keep track of people as they can.

The light rail requires minimum 49 dollar or 2 zone pass, with 2 zones you can ride the light rail, including newark light rail & HBLR as much as you want. The zones for busses are demarcated by dotted lines on bus route maps.

The comment about transfer train to bus means NJT rail, not light rail. Light rail actually falls under the bus operations umbrella, the heavy rail operations are separate. My girlfriend gets to work from bayonne to newark airport with a 2 zone bus pass & metrocard for PATH.

Shouldnt be more than 2 zones, but ask the B/O and you can pay the difference 1st time, then i'd say go to hoboken and get a 3 zoner.

For an example, we traveled to broad street station on newark light rail, then hopped the go 28 to the airport at broad street station.

- A

The Newark Light Rail only requires a One Zone Pass but the HBLR needs a 2 zone pass and will be inspected when requested

Archived