The Arrow III's Last Hoorah, Cars To Be Rehab Once More Time

N-Trizzy2609

NEWARK — The silver electric rail cars that were brand new when NJ Transit re-electrified the North Jersey Coast and Morris & Essex lines in the mid-1980s will get one last in-house rehabilitation to squeeze another five years out of the venerable trains known as Arrow IIIs.

NJ Transit's Board of Directors approved a total of $15.6 million in contracts Thursday to buy the needed parts and major components to rehabilitate 170 Arrow III rail cars out of the total fleet of 230. The other 60 will be taken out of service.

"These are really tired vehicles. I ride them daily," said James Weinstein, NJ Transit executive director. "They are really threadbare."

One final overhaul of the Arrows will cost about $192,000 per car, compared with an estimated replacement cost of $3 million to $4 million per car, NJ Transit officials said.

Some transit advocates at the board meeting suggested NJ Transit cancel a contract to buy 100 more bi-level cars, which were being purchased as part of the now canceled second Hudson River Tunnel project.

Just overhauling the 170 Arrow III cars is less than the cost buying the bi-levels, noted David Peter Alan, Lackawanna Commuter Coalition chairman, who supported overhauling the Arrows.

"I call for the cancellation of the bi-level car order because they're not needed," Alan said.

Al Papp Jr., a director of the New Jersey Association of Railroad Passengers, suggested NJ Transit reassess the need for rail cars and put the money into "more useful projects in the corporation."

Weinstein disagreed, saying the bi-levels can move more people than single level cars and are popular with riders.

"While the tunnel project has been canceled, the demand has not been canceled and we must find alternative ways to meet it," he said.

Weinstein said the agency is evaluating procurement of replacement electric multiple unit cars to replace the Arrow IIIs, but added there is no schedule for that purchase.

"We'll see where that fits in the new capital plan," he said.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=201012090350

=========================================================

Well looks like NJ Transit is finally listening. The Arrow are somewhat funny how they were built the same exact time of the R46s and will retire along with them. Hopefully SEPTA does the same to their Silverliner IVs since they are the only Silverliners not going.

I've seen Jimbo numerous times at newark & trenton. During times when there's a problem he is talking to people and explaining the possible causes etc. I have huge respect for him & he is correct in that demand has not gone down. even with fare increases ridership is at record levels & many trains are standing room only after a few stops or become that crowded coming from new york. MLV+ALP-45dp order is the -only- way to alleviate congestion till a new tunnel is built.

The additional MLV will allow for longer trains. Currently you see 7-9 car trains, with this order you can make them all 10 cars pulled by ALP-46, and 12 by ALP-46a, 7-8 for the RVL trains (PL42AC), and i believe 10 for the ALP-45dp. this translates into more capacity per train.

When the MLV's and ALP-46a's are cleared for 125 mph operation, this will effectively create a few new slots for additional trains, be them arrows or comets or another MLV consist. I believe there are also plans to see if clearing the comet 5's for 110 mph operation is possible, as tracks 1 and 4 are rated to 110 most of the stretch in nj.

Once the amtrak signal, tie, and other upgrade projects are complete, you will see more active use of switching to allow a higher number of trains per hour to operate between Morris and Hudson, once the new portal bridge is complete this will increase capacity by about 3-4 trains per hour. Only a new tunnel will be able to increase TPH after that.

- A

Also, wanted to point out, some arrows are really ragged and need to be retired, but a large % just need a bit of a light work-over to extend their useable life a few more years till all the new stuff is delivered. I sincerely hope they end up ordering modern EMU, maybe even double deck EMU, because they offer a lot of flexibility.

It is my hope that they will fix the speed restriction issue with the trucks so they can go at least 95 mph, which is what the silverliners do, even the older ones.

- A

Also, wanted to point out, some arrows are really ragged and need to be retired, but a large % just need a bit of a light work-over to extend their useable life a few more years till all the new stuff is delivered. I sincerely hope they end up ordering modern EMU, maybe even double deck EMU, because they offer a lot of flexibility.

It is my hope that they will fix the speed restriction issue with the trucks so they can go at least 95 mph, which is what the silverliners do, even the older ones.

- A

Not for nothing SEPTA Silverliners feel like subway car departing and stopping. Now I see why they don't let people stand in the vestibules like NJ Transit. (Well it's illegal to do it there but the conductor don't enforce it. Specially at rush hours.) The Arrows need, fresh seat, new logos, new horn maybe, and maybe truck upgrade. Hopefully the bathroom get an upgrade too. They get backed up way too easily and the sink randomly works.

Arrow III's overhaul won't be noticable to any riders unless they work in MMC.

Its a very light overhaul that will be done just to keep the cars running for a few more years, until there is money for Arrow IV's. Arrow IV's or some sort of new generation EMU must be ordered in order to provide maximum capcity for the system.

Push-Pulls anywhere on the NEC outside of the 3900's expresses are money losing, especially during Rush Hour, where the Middle Zone sees service like a rapid transit line. Also on the M & E as well. The Morris & Essex lines would dramatically improve with an all EMU operation an electric territory because it would allow for longer trains, and quicker acceleration, which will reduce crowding and ultimately provide more slots, even if its to Hoboken and with ARC canceled, you want to make Hoboken more attractive, since slots in NY are limited.

Arrow III's overhaul won't be noticable to any riders unless they work in MMC.

Its a very light overhaul that will be done just to keep the cars running for a few more years, until there is money for Arrow IV's. Arrow IV's or some sort of new generation EMU must be ordered in order to provide maximum capcity for the system.

Push-Pulls anywhere on the NEC outside of the 3900's expresses are money losing, especially during Rush Hour, where the Middle Zone sees service like a rapid transit line. Also on the M & E as well. The Morris & Essex lines would dramatically improve with an all EMU operation an electric territory because it would allow for longer trains, and quicker acceleration, which will reduce crowding and ultimately provide more slots, even if its to Hoboken and with ARC canceled, you want to make Hoboken more attractive, since slots in NY are limited.

Too bad the ARC was canceled. After seeing some pictures and hearing about what happens during rush hour they really need the 2nd tunnel.

Archived