MTA Over Budget and Behind Schedule on Construction Projects

Via Garibaldi 8

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/131052/report--mta-over-budget--behind-schedule-on-major-projects

In a previous thread about construction at Fulton St. a few posters mentioned that the project was being paid w/federal funds and that there were no longer any budget issues... Apparently someone has the facts wrong... If the project there is overbudget, who is paying for it???

I like the last line of the article:

The report calls for more effective oversight.

What?! More management...to solve the problem of management squabbling? Whiskey tango foxtrot, the problem is all the bullshit red tape and layers upon layers of management that burden these projects.

And in other news water is wet, fire is hot, and getting hit in the face hurts.

I'm just confused because in your thread, a few posters claimed that the Fulton St. project was no longer over budget and was being totally funded by federal dollars. I'm just trying to get clarification... Which is it...

I like the last line of the article:

What?! More management...to solve the problem of management squabbling? Whiskey tango foxtrot, the problem is all the bullshit red tape and layers upon layers of management that burden these projects.

What would really solve the problem is more workers to do the work. Imagine having 1 boss for 20 workers and not having 1 boss for 4 workers. But today when people hear about hiring more transit workers, all they think about are the pension and benefits those workers will get even though managers mare more money, get better benefits, and are not productive. The biggest waste of money in the TA are the layers and layers of management who oversee nothing. Hirer more workers and stop playing a big, money wasting game of grab ass.

I'm just confused because in your thread, a few posters claimed that the Fulton St. project was no longer over budget and was being totally funded by federal dollars. I'm just trying to get clarification... Which is it...

Just because it's not over budget now, doesn't mean it won't be in the end. And since someone is being a wise ass, it's a federal project since the Feds are footing the whole bill so how is it relevant?

NY1 had their ace reporter Captain Obvious covering this story.

On a serious note... who signs off on these billion dollar over budget projects? I want their job.

'It'll take 7 years too long, be outdated by the time it's finished, and will go ridiculously over budget? Sure, I'll sign off on that project extension. Where's the dotted line?'

Just because it's not over budget now, doesn't mean it won't be in the end. And since someone is being a wise ass, it's a federal project since the Feds are footing the whole bill so how is it relevant?

I'm asking a legitimate question... It's relevant because there is no such thing as free money... So if the project is a billion dollars over budget and the feds are footing the bill, it's still coming out of the tax payers' pockets, so yeah it's pretty relevant, wise ass.

I'm asking a legitimate question... It's relevant because there is no such thing as free money... So if the project is a billion dollars over budget and the feds are footing the bill, it's still coming out of the tax payers' pockets, so yeah it's pretty relevant, wise ass.

Ok, to be serious, I'm not 100% sure. I have not seen anything that said that the project was under budget and even if it were it does not mean that it will finish that way and IF by some chance it does, then I'm sure alot of corners will have been cut and will need even more money to correct. Free money has nothing to do with these projects, everything cost money, but it's MTA mismanagement, the contractors doing the work, and opponents to these projects who think there un-needed which causes them to run wildly over budget and to be delayed.

Ok, to be serious, I'm not 100% sure. I have not seen anything that said that the project was under budget and even if it were it does not mean that it will finish that way and IF by some chance it does, then I'm sure alot of corners will have been cut and will need even more money to correct. Free money has nothing to do with these projects, everything cost money, but it's MTA mismanagement, the contractors doing the work, and opponents to these projects who think there un-needed which causes them to run wildly over budget and to be delayed.

The contractors also try to price gouge and when you factor that into the MTA mismanagement, it just makes the situation worse.

The contractors also try to price gouge and when you factor that into the MTA mismanagement, it just makes the situation worse.

When ever the TA buys something, the contractor tries to f**k'em in some way. The TA recently bought a fleet of flat cars which have a problem, they don't like to stay on the rails. Contractor saw the TA coming a mile a way and is now getting paid to fix the problem. You can't make this shit up.

When ever the TA buys something, the contractor tries to f**k'em in some way. The TA recently bought a fleet of flat cars which have a problem, they don't like to stay on the rails. Contractor saw the TA coming a mile a way and is now getting paid to fix the problem. You can't make this shit up.

How is it possible that things are purchased without any sort of warranty?

Archived