MTA may face suit over stranded straphangers

East New York

Thanks for the experienced outlook on the situation.

I tried to imagine myself in these positions when I was down there pounding the road. In fact the old time school car motor instructors would run through various scenarios that they had encountered and ask us what actions WE would take in the same situation. The point was to take an action and justify it afterward, even if rules had to be "bent" somewhat. You used the word "experienced". I would bet that being a holiday weekend and such that there were very few, if any, experienced people on duty at RCC or in a supervisory position in the field to make that call. Those in "authority" in the (MTA), in all agencies, tend to wait for someone even higher up to make a decision because they are afraid to take the weight. So nothing is done and the hourly workers, whether transit, LIRR, DSNY, or whatever takes the blame for someone else's failure to supervise. In this instance I'd have to agree with the train crew's action if the newspapers reports are to be believed. If I had to wait for Walder, Bloomberg, Goldsmith, Doherty, et al, to make a decision I would recommend that all of the supervisors between the hourly worker and chairman or commissioner be FIRED the next working day. Obviously they can't, or won't, do the job under pressure so who needs them, right? I've had superintendants come to me and openly denigrate the TSSs on their own line so I can only imagine the office politics that permeate the (MTA) and NYC government.

The rail was live from what I was told. The snow made the tracks impassable.

Hotwire it to run a boombox & they could dance to keep warm?

They should have just grabbed blankets' date=' food, and water from where? The city was in a state of emergency. Who exactly was supposed to delivery these items, and how? Snow mobiles? The National Guard?[/quote']

Santa, of course!

The train must not have been in the station. There is absolutely no way in hell they would not have been allowed to exit the train if they were.

There was an amtrak train stuck within sight of new carrolton not too long ago, but there's no way at 9 pm they are gonna walk a few hundred people along the tracks to a closed station with no food/water options, especially when they (the train) coulda been allowed to proceed at any moment. Passengers complained, but they are not educated in the logics of railroads, so all they saw was an option being denied to them.

In this situation, the mistake was not suspending service sooner, not not letting them off into a station.

- A

Archived