MTA may face suit over stranded straphangers

East New York

By THERESA JUVA. amNewYork

A Manhattan lawyer for straphangers stranded on the A train during the post-Christmas blizzard plans to file suit this week against the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, blasting the agency for not having a policy to deal with trapped passengers during a major storm.

See full story at http://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/mta-may-face-suit-over-stranded-straphangers-1.2584981

I was stranded on a Brooklyn bound (A) train under the East River for damn near 4 hours once for emergency track work! Sure I was pissed off, but crap happens! I'm not just saying this because of my relationship with the MTA either. People will always be out to burn the TA, and try to get a couple bucks off them in the process.

I was stranded on a Brooklyn bound (A) train under the East River for damn near 4 hours once for emergency track work! Sure I was pissed off, but crap happens! I'm not just saying this because of my relationship with the MTA either. People will always be out to burn the TA, and try to get a couple bucks off them in the process.

They can't let trains through for that?

They can't let trains through for that?

Not if we were sitting there that long! I was the only person in my car too! I left Manhattan at about 3am. When I got to Brooklyn, the sun had risen!

No cell sevice either? I damn near had to get an MTA service delay verification just so my girl would back off! I was all types of lying, cheating dogs that night! I had already left the city an hour after I told her I was on my way!

Why do people think suing is always the damn answer? I got stuck during that blizzard. Yeah, I had to walk 1 mile before I found any cab to get me home - but you know what? It sure wasn't the MTA's fault that I decided to travel that day.

"They could have handed up water or snacks, or blankets," said Aymen Aboushi

And what is the train crew supposed to do? Pull that stuff out their BUNGHOLE?

Why do people think suing is always the damn answer? I got stuck during that blizzard. Yeah, I had to walk 1 mile before I found any cab to get me home - but you know what? It sure wasn't the MTA's fault that I decided to travel that day.

And what is the train crew supposed to do? Pull that stuff out their BUNGHOLE?

Since when in the hell motormen carry blankets and snacks? What the hell do you expect from a lousy $2.50? To live forever!!!??;)

I stand by my view at the height of the post X-mas blizzard 2010 that for a couple of hours at height of storm the (MTA) should have suspeneded service to all 'el' aka outdoor stations.

Riders mainly those boarding from JFK Airport, might had been better off waiting at the Howard Beach station since unlike that 'stuck' (A) train has a bathroom.

I stand by my view at the height of the post X-mas blizzard 2010 that for a couple of hours at height of storm the (MTA) should have suspeneded service to all 'el' aka outdoor stations.

Riders mainly those boarding from JFK Airport, might had been better off waiting at the Howard Beach station since unlike that 'stuck' (A) train has a bathroom.

When I was stuck on the (A) I went between cars to relieve myself. I felt really bad too, because I know that section of the track had to reek of urine. What else was I supposed to do?

that happened to me once. my cousins and i were on a Bronx-bound (2) Local train. it was late at night. we got on at 59 St-Columbus Circle, the train pulled out slowly and stopped halfway out of the station. The last 5 cars were still in the station, and first set of 2 doors on the 5th car was still on the platform. They told us that there was construction that needed to be done, there for we had to tell the conductor to open the last door to the 5th car. she did, and we got out safely. it was no biggie tho. if i know how to get out, id ask the conductor to let me out, IF we're still on the platform. now if were in the tunnel, then thats a different story.

Snacks, and blankets?. For God sakes this is the NYC Subway not Amtrak. East New York you are also right. It's better to stay in a nice, warm, and cozy train then walk out, and die on the elevated tracks of oblivion with freezing snow, icy conditions, an electrified third rail, and whiteout conditions. If I were them I did stay inside in the weather, and avoid all travels in the first place like I always do.

Are you effing kidding me! The train or atleast one car was in a station! They weren't stranded. They could of left but there was a blizzard outside. They were lucky they were allowed to stay on the train. The MTA could have kicked them off saying that they don't want to be liable.

"They could have handed up water or snacks, or blankets,"

Where in the hell are they supposed to get water, snacks, or blankets for an entire train load of passengers!? Do they expect a helicopter or something to deliver supplies.

ugh smh

Oh please...they were stuck on the train for six hours...there were people who were stranded LONGER than that on the other lines!

I mean yeah so it was just six hours, but clearly they could've done something to see that these people were okay. No food, water, blankets, nothing and no sort of announcements to let people know any updates. Imagine if someone was on the train that had an illness or something. Completely unacceptable. Another example of a disfunctional non-human agency. It doesn't cost much to keep people informed and make sure that they're okay.

Archived