What's Difference Between O/C and Promotional T/O Exam?

Donald

Considering the number of T/Os who have received indication at a terminal and proceeded with the home signal displaying Red over Red, I sometimes wonder.

However, it was originally instituted because crews couldn't bring themselves to perform a PA and IC check, thereby (hopefully) solving two problems at once.

As for the "lower in rank" business, Conductors are in charge of the train.

The conductor is only in charge of the train if the Train Operator allows him to be in charge. The train won't move if the T/O doesn't move it even if the C/R says pretty please. If a T/O is a promotion for C/R then C/R is lower in rank than the T/O. This is just another case of Transit contradicting itself, so that they are always right if a C/R or T/O get in trouble, to try to knock both out. Just like passengers are not allowed to hold the doors, yet a C/R has to reopen when they do. If he reopens, he has to explain why he is late. If he keeps them closed, he wasn't supposed to. Tranist catch-you-22.

I've heard repeatedly that the C/R had to ask the T/O if they had the correct lineup because one T/O took the wrong lineup, and now everyone else has to pay for one employee's mistake. That's how it usually happens in Transit.

The conductor is only in charge of the train if the Train Operator allows him to be in charge. The train won't move if the T/O doesn't move it even if the C/R says pretty please. If a T/O is a promotion for C/R then C/R is lower in rank than the T/O. This is just another case of Transit contradicting itself, so that they are always right if a C/R or T/O get in trouble, to try to knock both out. Just like passengers are not allowed to hold the doors, yet a C/R has to reopen when they do. If he reopens, he has to explain why he is late. If he keeps them closed, he wasn't supposed to. Tranist catch-you-22.

C/Rs are in charge of the train on main line railroads too so this isn't just a transit thing. While the T/O can refuse to move the train, the C/R can also stop the train so it works both ways.

The conducor IS in charge of the train.A T/O CANNOT leave a terminal unless they get 2 long buzzes from the conductor.If they give one long buzz we MUST IMMEDIATELY Stop the train.IF we stop short of the 10 car marker or overrun the marker putting the C/R "off the board" they can pull the emergency cord and stop the train.If a T/O takes a wrong lineup,the C/R can pull the cord.IF we dont respond to them via IC,PA or radio they can pull the cord.If we are not operating in a safe manner they can pull the cord and request that we are taken OOS.

If I am operating at top speed and the C/R tells me to slow down,I must SLOW DOWN or risk being taken OOS at the next station.

The AUG 1991 Union Square Derailment got not only Robert Ray fired but also his conductor because they FAILED to pull the cord and call the CC taking Ray out of service.

the c/r is in charge of the train. the problem is a lot of t/o's like to bully the c/r and make them feel like they have no power. but let that t/o f up and all of a sudden he's your best friend and looking for you to back him up.

So sadfully true, especially when it's a new conductor. I guess by rule, the C/R is in charge of the train, but for everything to run smoothly, you have to be respectful of each other, or else, there can be some bad problems if anything happens.

Transit is really a different beast than the railroads. I know some conductors in RDO think they have so much work to do as conductors, but compared to Metro North or LIRR, they don't. For the most part, if nothing goes wrong, and you are in the newer trains, you really are just pushing buttons in RTO. If something goes wrong, then things can get bad. In the 2 railroads, the conductor is responsible for large sums of money because they go around collecting the fares on the train. In RTO, you don't do that. That's what the station booths and the machines are for when you enter. In the other 2 railroads, the conductor puts the trains together before going into service. In RTO, the Train Operator does that. It's a much different job in RTO than the railroads, and in some aspects easier, except for getting more nastyness from passengers in RTO than in the other 2, and you probably are more of a target in RTO than in MNRR and LIRR, and you tend to be rushed more in RTO.

So sadfully true, especially when it's a new conductor. I guess by rule, the C/R is in charge of the train, but for everything to run smoothly, you have to be respectful of each other, or else, there can be some bad problems if anything happens.

Transit is really a different beast than the railroads. I know some conductors in RDO think they have so much work to do as conductors, but compared to Metro North or LIRR, they don't. For the most part, if nothing goes wrong, and you are in the newer trains, you really are just pushing buttons in RTO. If something goes wrong, then things can get bad. In the 2 railroads, the conductor is responsible for large sums of money because they go around collecting the fares on the train. In RTO, you don't do that. That's what the station booths and the machines are for when you enter. In the other 2 railroads, the conductor puts the trains together before going into service. In RTO, the Train Operator does that. It's a much different job in RTO than the railroads, and in some aspects easier, except for getting more nastyness from passengers in RTO than in the other 2, and you probably are more of a target in RTO than in MNRR and LIRR, and you tend to be rushed more in RTO.

the reason behind that is to keep us from becoming a railroad and the protection federal railroad rules offer.

Archived