Brighton Beach Switches

CenSin

I noticed on Sunday most of the switches between the two express tracks west of the Brighton Beach station were removed leaving mostly straight rail and a few vestiges of what was formerly there. Today, I saw a (:o go straight to the tracks between Brighton Beach and Ocean Parkway from the southbound track and relay back to the northbound express track at Brighton Beach. Why and are they planning to make this permanent?

Most likely replacing switches and rails, maybe reconfiguring some of it. I know that third rail department is installing new cables from under the tracks. Sometimes they'll install straight rails temporarily so they can run limited service rather than no service.

Which switches are you talking about exactly? The "X" in between the 2 Express Tracks just south of Brighton? I know the 2 outer Local Track switches were replaced between March 2002 and 2004. Or was it the X, Just north of Brighton that the (B) usually uses to terminate in Brighton?

What I dont understand about all this is why they dont make Ocean Parkway the Terminal for the (:( :confused:. maybe its b/c then there would be 3 express stops in a row?

Because service does not demand it. Also, the relay tracks behind the station (judging by the track map)

Which switches are you talking about exactly? The "X" in between the 2 Express Tracks just south of Brighton? I know the 2 outer Local Track switches were replaced between March 2002 and 2004. Or was it the X, Just north of Brighton that the (:P usually uses to terminate in Brighton?

Yes, the 'X' switch on the express tracks were recently removed so trains have to relay and only the northbound express track can be used for departing trains.

Archived