Loops

Gorgor

Well I'm interested in what other "loops" there are. No, I don't mean loops like the last stop on the (6), I mean where if a train starts from a certain station, it can make it back to that station by only going forwards and never switching directions.

I already found out that:

Sutphin Blvd - If a train were to start down the (J) train tracks, switch over to the (M) train tracks in Manhattan, and then continue to where the (E) goes it would be a full loop

DeKalb Avenue -

1) Down the (Q) then (N)

2) Down the (Q) then (D)

What others are there?

Guest lance25

Well, you can start from any northern terminal (i.e. Norwood-205 St, Inwood-207 St) and loop around the Coney Island complex to get back to the original terminal.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.259 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The only one that doesn't use some sort of transfer or actually uses it in service is the (6). The (1) used to but everyone knows the outcome of that

I have another loop which I recently thought of~

If you start in Linden Yard and go on the (L) line to Broadway Junction (not 100% sure of which stop it is near since I don't have my track book in front of me). At Broadway Junction diverge onto the (J) line. At Delancy Street go on the (M) route to 6 Av. Somewhere along 6 Av, transfer to the (D) which will take you to Concourse Yard in the Bronx. In the yard, go on the IRT (4) line. Take that into Brooklyn and switch to the (3). Take the (3) line back to the Linden Yard.

I know this is very lengthy, however I think this is what Gorgor asked for!! I also know that this can be done because the Nostalgia Train back in June did something similar (switched from the IND to the IRT, then back to the IND, without changing directions).

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I have another loop which I recently thought of~

If you start in Linden Yard and go on the (L) line to Broadway Junction (not 100% sure of which stop it is near since I don't have my track book in front of me). At Broadway Junction diverge onto the (J) line. At Delancy Street go on the (M) route to 6 Av. Somewhere along 6 Av, transfer to the (D) which will take you to Concourse Yard in the Bronx. In the yard, go on the IRT (4) line. Take that into Brooklyn and switch to the (3). Take the (3) line back to the Linden Yard.

I know this is very lengthy, however I think this is what Gorgor asked for!! I also know that this can be done because the Nostalgia Train back in June did something similar (switched from the IND to the IRT, then back to the IND, without changing directions).

See the thing with Linden Yard, there's no 3rd rail and in order to go from the (3) to the (L), you would have to reverse direction and since there's no power, you would need a diesel locomotive

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

See the thing with Linden Yard, there's no 3rd rail and in order to go from the (3) to the (L), you would have to reverse direction and since there's no power, you would need a diesel locomotive

As far as going from the (3) to the (L), you would be starting out on the (L), then wind up on the (3) when all said and done so you don't need to change direction (eg, if you look on the (6) line, Pelham Bay Park Station would be similar to Linden Yard and the City Hall Loop would be similar to Concourse Yard). As far as no 3rd rail/needing a diesel locomotive, this is only a dream, and probably won't happen, therefore a locomotive isn't necessary (unless one really wants to try this).

Archived