MNRR long term plans and proposals - 2040 plan

Nexis4Jersey

First off, you gave a great response above.

A flyover? With catenary? I don't even think there's enough room there to build an approach with a negotiable grade. Hamilton Avenue is also right near the current Glenbrook Station.

I don't mean to go far off topic, but that's such a great point, and I'd really like to see a stronger push for increased bus service from CTTransit, Coastal Link, GBT and the others. Any idea as to where Connecticut currently stands on this, and your thoughts for the future?

You could fit a Flyover in a small area , look at Woodlawn Junction or Kearny Connection. Small Flyovers , in tight areas.... Electric Rail gives you more flexibility then Diesel , thus the grades can be slightly more steeper.

Adding Bus service in the Dense areas would eliminate or at least reduce the need for all these new stations. Some of the problem is people driving down from the upper Danbury line towns to catch a NHL train due to the lack of train service. That puts parking pressure on those stations and more stations are needed. A Streetcar / Light Rail system is needed in Stamford , Bridgeport , Norwalk and New Haven..... Interstate buses should be created for the estimated 200.000 who work along the I-287 Rail corridor and work in Westchester and live in CT.....that will start the first wave of interstate bus commuters , then target those who work in the Bronx. The New Haven Extension targets those who live in the Bronx and work in Westchester and CT. Then the last set would be to those commuting into Manhattan , that would be tough to sell due to the congestion. CT in the mean time should beef up the bus system....

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You could fit a Flyover in a small area , look at Woodlawn Junction or Kearny Connection. Small Flyovers , in tight areas.... Electric Rail gives you more flexibility then Diesel , thus the grades can be slightly more steeper.

Adding Bus service in the Dense areas would eliminate or at least reduce the need for all these new stations. Some of the problem is people driving down from the upper Danbury line towns to catch a NHL train due to the lack of train service. That puts parking pressure on those stations and more stations are needed. A Streetcar / Light Rail system is needed in Stamford , Bridgeport , Norwalk and New Haven..... Interstate buses should be created for the estimated 200.000 who work along the I-287 Rail corridor and work in Westchester and live in CT.....that will start the first wave of interstate bus commuters , then target those who work in the Bronx. The New Haven Extension targets those who live in the Bronx and work in Westchester and CT. Then the last set would be to those commuting into Manhattan , that would be tough to sell due to the congestion. CT in the mean time should beef up the bus system....

actually ann interstate bus already exists that travels between the I-287 rail corridor and CT it is called the I-bus it runs non stop between stamford and white plains. Plus its a 7-day a week route also. Its frequent too. Those who work in tthe bronx can use the train already to fordham right??? Plus If a bus were to link co-op city with new rochelle faster than BL45 it would be a winner. I have a CT bus plan I was working on if ya wanna see some of it just ask which region and I will show it

The New East Stamford station would be after Hamilton Ave. Part of a Massive Redevelopment project , converting the Factories into Dense living , Retail , and Office space. Looking at the area , you'll need to build a flyover for the New Canaan Branch which is possible. Idk , the project seems on hold , or at least on the back burner. There is a proposed streetcar network for Stamford , that would eliminate the need for this state and enhance ridership on the New Canaan Branch.

The Downtown Norwalk station is being proposed due to the recent Urban Renewal underway in Norwalk. You will probably see the Georgetown and Extension line stations built first before Downtown Norwalk is built. Alot of these small cities such as Norwalk or Stamford could easily build a streetcar network to take some strain off the South Norwalk station... The only reason stations like East Stamford , Downtown Norwalk , East Bridgeport , Orange and West Haven are proposed or built , is because in CT everybody drives to the stations. Thus once a parking lot like Fairfield or New Haven fills up a New station is proposed , this would not and does not happen in NJ or PA because a Bus or other type of Rail is available.

East Bridgeport i lost the article to that , but it would be a part of a Massive Redevelopment in East Bridgeport.

The Orange station is located on Oxford Road and is on hold , it too is part of a Massive Redevelopment project.

At first i didn't understand , but after some research it made some sense. But each state is different , CT is different then NJ and NY. NJ and NY would enhance the bus connections in the region were the pressure is , NJ & NY also have great Interstate Bus service to the city , CT does not. There Developments near the Train stations are selling out pretty fast and our popular with NYC commuters and other small cities like Norwalk , Stamford , Bridgeport and New Haven. This whole concept started in NJ , but just recently has reached NY and CT which is doing it larger and taller then we did in NJ. The Towns and Cities mostly look to New stations to revive struggling areas and dying neighborhoods and they do. It usually takes 4-7 years for the area to turn around and depends on where the line goes.... The largest project underway in this region that is built around a Rail system is happening in Harrison,NJ. The Development will be built around the PATH station ,and the City is requesting the old Morristown line station by reopening to take pressure off the PATH. Now you'll probably asking why reopen at a station , well the Development will add over 45-60,000 New customers to the Harrison PATH and most of these customers will be from the development. The City wants to people living in the old Harrison to have access to a station aswell , same is happening along parts of the NHL and in CT in general.

check cttransit.com most of those new stations are useless and already have buses making timed connections at the current stations. For example the norwalk 10 line goes to downtown norwalk from south norwalk station plus the real problem is it's service span it needs to run beyond 7 PM!!!! during daytime it meets the trains the wait time between em is very short

• 2 weeks later...

My Friend proposed Metro North add / restore Pelham Manor , City Island , Baychester , Westchester Ave along the planned New Haven line extension to Penn station. These areas are ripe for redevelopment and alot of Developments are planned for these areas , alot of people in the Bronx commute to Westchester / Fairfield Counties and giving them more options on commuting will help the local economy and peoples wallets will quicker access to better paying jobs. City Island is isolated from the rest of the city , so it could use a connection. He also agrees with me that there needs to be a Queens Jct transfer station for those wishing to switch to the LIRR.

My Friend proposed Metro North add / restore Pelham Manor , City Island , Baychester , Westchester Ave along the planned New Haven line extension to Penn station. These areas are ripe for redevelopment and alot of Developments are planned for these areas , alot of people in the Bronx commute to Westchester / Fairfield Counties and giving them more options on commuting will help the local economy and peoples wallets will quicker access to better paying jobs. City Island is isolated from the rest of the city , so it could use a connection. He also agrees with me that there needs to be a Queens Jct transfer station for those wishing to switch to the LIRR.

yeah but those stations in bronx should be served by new trains not existing ones but ones added to the schedule. Ur right but wouldn't it be better for airtrain to extend beyond jamacia to flushing then LGA then to parkchester and baychester and pelham manor linking to metro-north creating a crosstown rail link eliminating the need for queens jct. This will mean faster switching without slowing down the new line but ending it at new rochelle. However I am fearfull of the cost so having the airtrain go to eastchester or where metro-north new haven extension in bronx is more practical.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what the MNRR should be planning for both the New Haven and Hudson line extensions to Penn station.

New Haven line - Penn Station Extension

Penn Station

Sunnyside JCT

Hunts Point

Westchester Ave

Parkchester

Co-Op City

City Island

Pelham Manor

New Rochelle

Harrison

Stamford

Hudson line - Penn Station Extension

Penn Station

West 62nd Street

West 96th Street

West 125th Street

Dyckman St

Riverdale

Yonkers

• 1 month later...
Here's what the MNRR should be planning for both the New Haven and Hudson line extensions to Penn station.

New Haven line - Penn Station Extension

Penn Station

Sunnyside JCT

Hunts Point

Westchester Ave

Parkchester

Co-Op City

City Island

Pelham Manor

New Rochelle

Harrison

Stamford

Hudson line - Penn Station Extension

Penn Station

West 62nd Street

West 96th Street

West 125th Street

Dyckman St

Riverdale

Yonkers

On the New Haven line I like your ideas but I would do away with Westchester Avenue and Sunnyside JCT. To me I dont really think you would get much ridership in those areas. On the Hudson line I really wouldnt put any stations on that line because to me its just to far out of the way from any residents. The only people you would serve is people who live on Riverside Dr and Westend Av. To me it would just be Penn Station straight to Riverdale and points north.

On the New Haven line I like your ideas but I would do away with Westchester Avenue and Sunnyside JCT. To me I dont really think you would get much ridership in those areas. On the Hudson line I really wouldnt put any stations on that line because to me its just to far out of the way from any residents. The only people you would serve is people who live on Riverside Dr and Westend Av. To me it would just be Penn Station straight to Riverdale and points north.

I think Westchester Ave would benefit those who live in New Developments built on the old Sheridan freeway that will be tore up eventually and act as a connecting point for people coming down the New Haven line and wishing to go to Manhattan or the Bronx. Sunnyside JCT would be a Transfer station between the LIRR and MNRR and possibly NJT , there's alot of people who commute mostly be car between The Bronx and Queens , and Westchester this benefit them by finally giving them rail access to there jobs... Theres about 50,000 who commute to Jobs and live The Bronx , Queens or Westchester.

The West 62nd street station on the Hudson line would benefit the Trump Developments and Lincoln Center Crowd , there's also alot of Developments planned for near the 125th Street station , and the Dyckman Street station is not that isolated. There are a decent amount of West side residents who work in Yonkers or points North , who could use this line and its stations to make the commute faster.

I think Westchester Ave would benefit those who live in New Developments built on the old Sheridan freeway that will be tore up eventually and act as a connecting point for people coming down the New Haven line and wishing to go to Manhattan or the Bronx. Sunnyside JCT would be a Transfer station between the LIRR and MNRR and possibly NJT , there's alot of people who commute mostly be car between The Bronx and Queens , and Westchester this benefit them by finally giving them rail access to there jobs... Theres about 50,000 who commute to Jobs and live The Bronx , Queens or Westchester.

The West 62nd street station on the Hudson line would benefit the Trump Developments and Lincoln Center Crowd , there's also alot of Developments planned for near the 125th Street station , and the Dyckman Street station is not that isolated. There are a decent amount of West side residents who work in Yonkers or points North , who could use this line and its stations to make the commute faster.

Nexis I live in NJ and everytime I come up to the Bronx something has changed. Im not really sold on the Hudson Line station. Lets start with the Dyckman Station, I dont know the area that well because but the last time I was on the Empire line was in 2007 when I was taking my PC test for Amtrak. 125 Street hmmmmmm Im really trying to figure out who will want to walk all the way down to that station being by the hudson river and also the 1 train is right there. 62nd Street, I can be sold on that being that you mention the Trump building that I totally forgot about.

On the New Haven I can agree with you about the station but I have a couple of questions, when you say Westchester Avenue are you talking about Whitlock Ave on the 6 line? If so that will be to close to Hunts Point. You also said something about Sunnyside JCT as a transfer point, why waste the money by building a station when you can transfer at Penn Station. Also remember NJT can only make one stop out of there own state.

Nexis I live in NJ and everytime I come up to the Bronx something has changed. Im not really sold on the Hudson Line station. Lets start with the Dyckman Station, I dont know the area that well because but the last time I was on the Empire line was in 2007 when I was taking my PC test for Amtrak. 125 Street hmmmmmm Im really trying to figure out who will want to walk all the way down to that station being by the hudson river and also the 1 train is right there. 62nd Street, I can be sold on that being that you mention the Trump building that I totally forgot about.

On the New Haven I can agree with you about the station but I have a couple of questions, when you say Westchester Avenue are you talking about Whitlock Ave on the 6 line? If so that will be to close to Hunts Point. You also said something about Sunnyside JCT as a transfer point, why waste the money by building a station when you can transfer at Penn Station. Also remember NJT can only make one stop out of there own state.

Dyckman street could be added in later ,infact its not even on the start up plan , but rather the full build. When the large Scale Developments go up next to the planned 125th Street it will make more sense , the Hudson line would take some pressure off the 1 train which is starting reach its capacity.

Yes Westchester @ Whitlock Ave , once the Expressway is torn out there will be a huge gap that needs to filled and placing a station there would do wonders for the redevelopment that would go in. Yes it would be close to the Hunts Point station , but the Developments planned will need at least 2 stations to support them. With Sunnyside JCT , to go Penn station and switch to the LIRR takes to much time and is wasteful in both time and $$. I'm sure NJT can change its own rules....it would probably benefit NJT somewhat since there is a decent amount of commuters who work in Long Island City.

Dyckman street could be added in later ,infact its not even on the start up plan , but rather the full build. When the large Scale Developments go up next to the planned 125th Street it will make more sense , the Hudson line would take some pressure off the 1 train which is starting reach its capacity.

Yes Westchester @ Whitlock Ave , once the Expressway is torn out there will be a huge gap that needs to filled and placing a station there would do wonders for the redevelopment that would go in. Yes it would be close to the Hunts Point station , but the Developments planned will need at least 2 stations to support them. With Sunnyside JCT , to go Penn station and switch to the LIRR takes to much time and is wasteful in both time and $$. I'm sure NJT can change its own rules....it would probably benefit NJT somewhat since there is a decent amount of commuters who work in Long Island City.[/QU

Ok fine build the Dyckman Stantion but building the Westchester Av Station doesnt make any sense to me being that the Hunt Point Station is right down the block. If youre going to have these station so close there better be a four train mainline. Sunnyside JCT doesnt make sense to me either, youre saying people commuter to LIC which is true. So why wont Metro North have trains Terminating at LIC station. All other connecting trains can go to Penn Station where you have LIRR, NJT and Amtrak.

Yes Westchester @ Whitlock Ave , once the Expressway is torn out there will be a huge gap that needs to filled and placing a station there would do wonders for the redevelopment that would go in. Yes it would be close to the Hunts Point station , but the Developments planned will need at least 2 stations to support them. With Sunnyside JCT , to go Penn station and switch to the LIRR takes to much time and is wasteful in both time and $$. I'm sure NJT can change its own rules....it would probably benefit NJT somewhat since there is a decent amount of commuters who work in Long Island City.[/QU

Ok fine build the Dyckman Stantion but building the Westchester Av Station doesnt make any sense to me being that the Hunt Point Station is right down the block. If youre going to have these station so close there better be a four train mainline. Sunnyside JCT doesnt make sense to me either, youre saying people commuter to LIC which is true. So why wont Metro North have trains Terminating at LIC station. All other connecting trains can go to Penn Station where you have LIRR, NJT and Amtrak.

Yea i see how ridiculous that would look , but the developers of the Hunts Point project suggested it. As for the Sunnyside JCT station , if you were commuting down from Stamford to Jamaica or Long Island , why would you go another 2 miles west into Manhattan to switch? It makes little to no sense to go into Manhattan and then switch to the LIRR.....

Yea i see how ridiculous that would look , but the developers of the Hunts Point project suggested it. As for the Sunnyside JCT station , if you were commuting down from Stamford to Jamaica or Long Island , why would you go another 2 miles west into Manhattan to switch? It makes little to no sense to go into Manhattan and then switch to the LIRR.....

Nexis sorry I took so long to respond I was working last night and I didnt get the chance to. First where would you put Sunnyside JCT? The way they are rebuilding Harrold I just dont see the space. From reports I heard they are suppose to reconfigure Harrold in order to have faster and less delays on Amtrak and the LIRR because they cross path at that spot. If Metro North is going to travel down the Hell Gate into the NYP it all depends on how the New Harrold would look in order to build Sunnyside JCT. You said if someone is traveling from Stamford to Jamaica why travel a extra two miles into Manhattan? Nexis its just two miles, thats nothing by train. All Im saying Nexis is to prevent back up and delays Sunnyside JCT is not the answer, lets have a nice flow of trains travel into the city and all the connections could be made there.

Nexis sorry I took so long to respond I was working last night and I didnt get the chance to. First where would you put Sunnyside JCT? The way they are rebuilding Harrold I just dont see the space. From reports I heard they are suppose to reconfigure Harrold in order to have faster and less delays on Amtrak and the LIRR because they cross path at that spot. If Metro North is going to travel down the Hell Gate into the NYP it all depends on how the New Harrold would look in order to build Sunnyside JCT. You said if someone is traveling from Stamford to Jamaica why travel a extra two miles into Manhattan? Nexis its just two miles, thats nothing by train. All Im saying Nexis is to prevent back up and delays Sunnyside JCT is not the answer, lets have a nice flow of trains travel into the city and all the connections could be made there.

I'm not saying a big station , but something like 1 or 2 platforms , and i'm sure they can fit it in. In this region time is $$$ and when there is an opportunity to reduce the time commuting and encourage more commuters to use Rail instead of clogging the roads it should be taken.

I'm not saying a big station , but something like 1 or 2 platforms , and i'm sure they can fit it in. In this region time is $$$ and when there is an opportunity to reduce the time commuting and encourage more commuters to use Rail instead of clogging the roads it should be taken.

If we really want to reduce travel time and connect metro-north to LIRR try looking at airtrain. Extend it to LGA and 125th with a stop at flushing done!!!! ppl from metro-north will exit on 125th then use airtrain to jamacia and make their connections there sunnyside jct plz as if. Also ppl would switch to train from driving to get to LGA instead of clogging LIE DONE. PPL on other side if shortline and trailways rerouted their mineola stop to the intermodal center and ditched hempstead ridership on those lines would increase forcing service to improve. PPL of upstate will use white plains as a transfer point to those buses going direct to LI many can transfer to LIRR at mineola to reach other destinations. Slight LIB restructuring will solve this problem.

If we really want to reduce travel time and connect metro-north to LIRR try looking at airtrain. Extend it to LGA and 125th with a stop at flushing done!!!! ppl from metro-north will exit on 125th then use airtrain to jamacia and make their connections there sunnyside jct plz as if. Also ppl would switch to train from driving to get to LGA instead of clogging LIE DONE. PPL on other side if shortline and trailways rerouted their mineola stop to the intermodal center and ditched hempstead ridership on those lines would increase forcing service to improve. PPL of upstate will use white plains as a transfer point to those buses going direct to LI many can transfer to LIRR at mineola to reach other destinations. Slight LIB restructuring will solve this problem.

• 4 weeks later...

MTA eyes new Bronx Metro-North stations

(11/08/11) THE BRONX - The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) is working on preliminary plans to expand Metro-North service to the east side of The Bronx.

Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz, Jr., MTA officials and community leaders met yesterday to discuss the plan, which they say could become a reality by 2016.

The proposal could give residents more access to the railroad, with stations possibly coming to Co-op City, Parkchester, Hunts Point and Morris Park.

The Bronx Borough President's Office says since the tracks are already in place, they would only have to build stations. Some local politicians say it's a win-win situation.

"They don't need any variances and they project they don't need to interrupt any existing businesses," says Democratic state Assemblyman Marcos Crespo.

Community leaders say the only drawback is that the preliminary plans don't call for any new parking garages or lots, which may add more traffic to the area.

MTA board member and former Bronx Borough President Fernando Ferrer estimates that the project will cost about $300 million, with a third of the sum coming from Connecticut and the rest from New York.

http://www.news12.com/Login/home_login?articleId=297565&position=1&news_type=news

Before everyone gets excited just note these are preliminary plans. There is a long way to go before anything gets set in stone.

The Bronx Borough President's Office says since the tracks are already in place, they would only have to build stations. Some local politicians say it's a win-win situation.

Really? These are not even Metro North's tracks. Amtrak owns the rights to these tracks. How could Metro North, MTA or CDOT build structures along tracks that aren't even theirs with out Amtrak's permission?

Archived