All service suspended: The first official bus shutdown since the transit strike

Abba

Staten Island got hit by the storm the worst, we have 19-20 inches of snow. I caught the last S53 bus out of Brooklyn last night around 10pm and the ride was pretty epic!

It was an Orion V with chains and the ride was entirely fine until the (S53) got off the highway and it looked like something out of day after tomorrow. There was a 4-car pile up on school road in the tunnel under the SIE, so the bus had to go around that and began sliding all over the place on black ice. There was a total of 3 stuck Hybrid S53s in front of ours and the bus I was on was the rescue one for all of them. The entire ride people were just on edge because the bus got stuck a few times but thankfully it made it down to Castleton Ave. No other S53s were heading in the opposite direction though, which sucks for anyone who had took the long (R) train ride to bay ridge only to have to take it back to whitehall only to find out theres no buses at st george either! :eek:

The bus didn't get you there on it's own,sounds like a pretty skillful Bus Operator with his(or her) hands full got you through.

Staten Island got hit by the storm the worst, we have 19-20 inches of snow. I caught the last S53 bus out of Brooklyn last night around 10pm and the ride was pretty epic!

actually staten island only got 15 inches of snow. harlem/central park where i live got the most, which was 19 inches.

maybe because you guys had higher wind gusts or because you are "the forgotten borough" makes it seem like you had more snow

heres the website with all the info:

http://burlington-weather.com/wordpress/?p=152

Q45 heading towards Atlas mall in Glendale, 69th st-left

on Grand Ave, right on 80th St and regular. Heading towards

the 74th St terminal regular route. Calamus Ave is curvy

and narrow, so buses can only go in 1 direction in this kind

of weather.

Q18 is still on detour, instead of the plateau on 65th place

they go on 69th St. Heading towards the end of the line

in Astoria they are going as far as 30th Ave/Astoria Blvd.

Archived