New May 11th & Proposed Future Schedule Changes

Jamaica Express

• All :rvl: Hoboken Service is cut

• 2:05 AM Fri/Sat :rvl: train out of Newark is getting dropped

• All midday Dover-Hoboken Electric Service is cut

• On the bright side there is a new morning rush :me: Midtown Direct train out of Maplewood that makes one stop at South Orange than express directly to NYP:)

• New Rahway Locals

There is talk of eliminating all Bay Head Hoboken service in the future, there is also talk of eliminating South Amboy and Matawan Locals (which would be entirely idiotic if they do)

These are the main ones that caught my eye, I may have missed a few

I dunno where you got this info from about eliminating service, but currently they are doing trackwork between jersey ave & trenton which affects how much traffic can be on the :nec:/:njc: between hoboken & linden because that will be a bottleneck area with trains trying to make up lost time between jersey ave & points north.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2652

- Andy

The information about elimination of service on the RVL (and related train cuts on the Morristown line to/from Hoboken) has been discussed on Railroad dot net, however, VERY heavily.

Cutting the final Raritan Valley Line train wouldn't be that bad if two extra trips (one on the 113, and one on the 114) were added leaving at 1:30 AM). That would probably soothe a lot of people who are angry.

I'm sure NJT can find the money for another bus from Ironbound.

The information about elimination of service on the RVL (and related train cuts on the Morristown line to/from Hoboken) has been discussed on Railroad dot net, however, VERY heavily.

Cutting the final Raritan Valley Line train wouldn't be that bad if two extra trips (one on the 113, and one on the 114) were added leaving at 1:30 AM). That would probably soothe a lot of people who are angry.

I'm sure NJT can find the money for another bus from Ironbound.

I think this has more to do with when revenue rail employee shifts end, but bus service needs to be implemented for people who rely on this train as their backup, perhaps coachusa would take up the slack?

Hmmm....lots of cuts but for the better.

The RVL not serving Hoboken anymore is not surprising. No one stayed on the train or picked up the train from Hoboken. If there were, then just hop on the PATH and go to Newark.

I think this has more to do with when revenue rail employee shifts end, but bus service needs to be implemented for people who rely on this train as their backup, perhaps coachusa would take up the slack?
NJT already has the route.

Hmmm....lots of cuts but for the better.

The RVL not serving Hoboken anymore is not surprising. No one stayed on the train or picked up the train from Hoboken. If there were, then just hop on the PATH and go to Newark.

NJT already has the route.

So i guess this will help save fuel?

- Andy

One would imagine. NJT is getting a bargain on fuel. But that'll change later in the year.

I just hope the path system can handle the overflow, not sure how much it'd be, but during peak hours path trains are nose-in-armpit crowded.

- Andy

I just hope the path system can handle the overflow, not sure how much it'd be, but during peak hours path trains are nose-in-armpit crowded.

- Andy

PATH better get to work fast with try to make the Red line (NWK-WTC) work with 10 car long trains. Its ridiculous how packed those trains are, especially during the rush. Good thing I don't have to depend on PATH everyday.

PATH better get to work fast with try to make the Red line (NWK-WTC) work with 10 car long trains. Its ridiculous how packed those trains are, especially during the rush. Good thing I don't have to depend on PATH everyday.

As soon as the permanent WTC station is in place i think they might try this, as newark can totally fit that many now. I don't know about exchange place, grove st, harison, or jsq in terms of platform length, though i'll likely be able to find out tomorrow when i go to the mets game.

- Andy

JSQ & Exchange Place can fit 10 cars (Exchange Place was extended when its Interlocking was rebuilt)

Grove st will need to be extended

Im not sure about Harrison

Too bad PATH can't run non-stop Exp service from NWK to WTC, that would help out alot

JSQ & Exchange Place can fit 10 cars (Exchange Place was extended when its Interlocking was rebuilt)

Grove st will need to be extended

Im not sure about Harrison

Too bad PATH can't run non-stop Exp service from NWK to WTC, that would help out alot

I think during peak hours there are some express trains that stop only at wtc, exp, and nwk. Either that, or they just have increased service intervals (5 minutes vs 15).

- Andy

There was a brief period of time back in the 80's when they ran Exp service from WTC and NWK during the morning and everning rush, it applied to every 2nd train, which was to run non-stop to/from WTC, this didn't work because the express would always end up sitting behind a local (the only place an exp can overtake a local is at JSQ on track 0) service was eventually changed back to all local, every once in a blue moon during congestion, a train will bypass JSQ on track 0, but thats the closest I've seen to exp service.

Also service intervals are every 4-8 minutes during rush hour & every 10-15 minutes on off hours & weekends

There was a brief period of time back in the 80's when they ran Exp service from WTC and NWK during the morning and everning rush, it applied to every 2nd train, which was to run non-stop to/from WTC, this didn't work because the express would always end up sitting behind a local (the only place an exp can overtake a local is at JSQ on track 0) service was eventually changed back to all local, every once in a blue moon during congestion, a train will bypass JSQ on track 0, but thats the closest I've seen to exp service.

Also service intervals are every 4-8 minutes during rush hour & every 10-15 minutes on off hours & weekends

I guess it's time to add some capacity....

- Andy

Harrison barely fits a 7 car train! I think the ends of the train matches up with the ends of the platforms or just short of it.

Now, the current WTC is questionable whether it can fit 10 cars. I think only track 1 can do that but I'm not sure. I'll have to check next time I'm over at the WTC.

Grove St needs to be renovated. They should renovate Grove St so that it matches with the hallway of the new entrance. Also the station seems to have leaking problems so that should be worked on too. Grove St can fit ten cars if the eastern end paltform is extended and all they have to do it knock down the tunnel wall along the hallway to the new entrance, make it look like a platform.

Archived