LIRR speeds approaching Jamaica

Joel Up Front

I was on the LIRR to Jamaica Tuesday to refill my MetroCard at Sutphin, but I noticed that even after my train was completely over a switch, the train would either slow down or not be drawing power (I noticed it because the inside of the car seemed quieter than usual - no announcements or propulsion noise). Are they always this slow going into the station?

When it did get closer to the station proper, there were several track workers on the roadbed - was there just normal winter work (freeing switches, etc.) or was there something going on?

I was on the LIRR to Jamaica Tuesday to refill my MetroCard at Sutphin, but I noticed that even after my train was completely over a switch, the train would either slow down or not be drawing power (I noticed it because the inside of the car seemed quieter than usual - no announcements or propulsion noise). Are they always this slow going into the station?

When it did get closer to the station proper, there were several track workers on the roadbed - was there just normal winter work (freeing switches, etc.) or was there something going on?

Why would you go to Jamaica to refill a MetroCard? It's a waste of money. Use HTC or buy $20 cards from an LIRR ticket office.

Pretty much. I think the speed limit is 15 going into the station. And IIRC the third rail ends right before the switches, which is why the train ceases to draw power.

Pretty much. I think the speed limit is 15 going into the station. And IIRC the third rail ends right before the switches, which is why the train ceases to draw power.

The "Jamaica Crawl" is a 15 mph speed restriction approaching Jamaica Station from all directions, more specifically through JAY and HALL interlockings due to the immense congestion and extremely complex track layout. With the lone exception of the Port Washington Branch, all LIRR passenger lines merge and diverge within a very short distance, and the Hillside and Richmond Hill Yards and Shops, the Morris Park, Holban, Johnson and "D" Yards and Boland's Landing are also located in the immediate area, which means a lot of employees walking the tracks and a lot of equipment moves.

With PTC being mandated by 2015, the LIRR has plans to upgrade the switches and signalling system to allow for maximum speeds of 30 mph, which would be a vast improvement in terms of reduced time moving through the area. However, these plans have been around for a while, and while permissible speeds may increase to 30 mph, I personally don't see it being very likely that trains will be negotiating the stretch at that speed on a consistent basis.

PATCOman is correct. Those circular black-W-on-yellow is the whistle post. I believe that they are different from the black-W-on-white in that the yellow signs indicate a temporary post rather than a permanent one.

The first changes at Jamaica will be happening around the western platform ends of Tracks 1, 2 and 3.

Archived