Operating differences between the LIRR and Metro-North

Joel Up Front

-Well LIRR operates 24/7 unlike MNR which is 2AM-5AM no trains at GCT even tho at around 3 or 4AM there are trains still running but towards the end of its North Terminal.

-MNR WOH relies on NJT fares and EOH is MTAs fares. (Correct me if im wrong)

-Almost all of MNR has heater rooms (Except some station such as Melrose, Williamsbridge, Tremont, Breakneck ridge [Low level plat] etc_. LIRR Very limited unlike MNR.

-Ticket policy Im not toooooo sure

-Metro-North has Grand Central to itself, basically.... unlike Penn Station. At least having the LIRR, Amtrak, and NJT in the old one would have been cool. This current one looks like piss under an ultraviolet light. Smells like it, too.

-Metro-North has several types of passenger cars for all its different lines. Catenary, while ugly (as well as the equipment related to it) does allow for some fast speeds...

-North of the city, there aren't many bus connections with most stations. Most LIRR stations, especially in Nassau, do.

-Harlem doesn't serve as a transfer station to either other trains or to the subway because of some weird policy I don't get and the 125th street (4)(5)(6) stations being a block away... but at Jamaica, you can either get on the LIRR to Penn just by crossing the platform (don't get off the wrong side!) or take the (E) right under you at Sutphin Boulevard to Penn Station worry free. Jamaica also has the AirTrain right there sticking out of that giant canopy.

-Both do use diesel locomotives in passenger service - in Suffolk on the LIRR, and outside of NY for Metro-North.

"Metro-North has several types of passenger cars for all its different lines. Catenary, while ugly (as well as the equipment related to it) does allow for some fast speeds..."

LIRR M7's are really fast too. Just depends on time, t/o and speed limit. But there are several videos on YouTube where you can see how fast they are, especially when pulling off on a station...

M7A on MNRR was a bomb train about 1,5 week ago btw, so that says something too.

And about the Harlem-thing: well, you can't compare it to Jamaica. It would be better to compare it to Woodside, which is also kinda a fail. 4 tracks, 4 platforms (though 2 island platforms) and supposed to be (at least, according to Forgotten NY) a transfer station. But you can only transfer to the (7) and even then, LIRR Woodside only has hourly service (30 minutes before the cuts, but that still doesn't cut it for a transfer station).

But IMHO, LIRR does a better job then MNRR overall ;)

LIRR M7's are really fast too. Just depends on time, t/o and speed limit. But there are several videos on YouTube where you can see how fast they are, especially when pulling off on a station...

M7A on MNRR was a bomb train about 1,5 week ago btw, so that says something too.

LIRR's M7s and MNRR's M7As can run at the sames speeds, because they are the same train. MNRR just has the new and improved versions.

As for the M7A Bomb train, if you are refering to the videos on Youtube, hose were my videos and they were really a joke, because A bomb train is really the name for a Genesis and Shoreliner consist. M7As have to replacesome of the desiels because of equipment shortages.

-Both do use diesel locomotives in passenger service - in Suffolk on the LIRR, and outside of NY for Metro-North.

Metro North uses plenty of diesels in NY. The Hudson Line north of Croton-Harmon is services exclusively by diesels as there is no electric. Same goes for the Harlem Line north of Southeast.

One big difference between LIRR and MNR is with LIRR everything is under their control. MNR not so. MNR has CDOT to contend with regarding Connecticut operations and fares and NJT to deal with regarding WOH operations.

Ticketing policies between MNR (East of Hudson) and LIRR are similar, especially with the advent of the recent policies. MNR sets the fares for the NY stations but CDOT sets the fares for the CT stations.

While MNR sets the fares for the West of Hudson, it is my understanding the the refund policies are set by NJT. Someone correct me if I'm wrong regarding the WOH.

Metro North uses plenty of diesels in NY. The Hudson Line north of Croton-Harmon is services exclusively by diesels as there is no electric. Same goes for the Harlem Line north of Southeast.

One big difference between LIRR and MNR is with LIRR everything is under their control. MNR not so. MNR has CDOT to contend with regarding Connecticut operations and fares and NJT to deal with regarding WOH operations.

Ticketing policies between MNR (East of Hudson) and LIRR are similar, especially with the advent of the recent policies. MNR sets the fares for the NY stations but CDOT sets the fares for the CT stations.

While MNR sets the fares for the West of Hudson, it is my understanding the the refund policies are set by NJT. Someone correct me if I'm wrong regarding the WOH.

Don't forget LIRR has to contend with Amtrak for access into NYP. MNR sets fares for WOH, and they reimburse NJT for holding down NJT fares. (hence why some northern NJT stations still have ORT tickets, and why some NJT fares increased with the MNR increase)

Another one is that one of the railroads does not employ NORAC operating rules (the LIRR uses NORAC, but Metro-North does not). NORAC is used by all other railroads in the Northeastern United States.

LIRR doesn't use NORAC either. It uses its own rule book, different from MNR. It's somewhat similar to NORAC, as they have to use NYP.

Archived