New WMATA Routes Will Debut in 2012

Forest Glen

In order to add capacity to the Orange Line and prepare for the new service to Dulles, there will be two new routes. Some Orange line trains will operate from Vienna/Fairfax to Largo Town Center. Additionally, some Yellow line trains will start at the Franconia/Springfield Blue line terminal and operate to Greenbelt (last stop on the Green line). This is being done to free up more slots for the Orange line. The Orange line in Virginia along the I-66 is one of the most congested segments of the system.

http://odd.greatergreaterwashington.org/files/2011/blueyellow.pdf

When the Silver Line opens to Dulles International Airport, Washington, D.C. will have the second longest system and third most stations in the U.S.A..

It's a wonder that WMATA didn't consider three or four tracks for certain sections.

I believe Washington, D.C. is also second in interlining.

The western end of the Orange line is D.C.'s version of the Lexington Ave line in NYC. Rush hour trains are typically packed to capacity so this service will allow more Orange line trains to travel between Rosslyn and Stadium Armory. This service is badly needed.

I wonder if Metro will consider going to a numbered or letter based route system? According to the PDF, adding additional route colors is unpopular (Aqua has been proposed for the Franconia-Springfield-Greenbelt line). I guess they can just leave it as is and have "broken" lines on the map to indicate part-time service. I'm sure that will cause some confusion, though.

The western end of the Orange line is D.C.'s version of the Lexington Ave line in NYC. Rush hour trains are typically packed to capacity so this service will allow more Orange line trains to travel between Rosslyn and Stadium Armory. This service is badly needed.

I wonder if Metro will consider going to a numbered or letter based route system? According to the PDF, adding additional route colors is unpopular (Aqua has been proposed for the Franconia-Springfield-Greenbelt line). I guess they can just leave it as is and have "broken" lines on the map to indicate part-time service. I'm sure that will cause some confusion, though.

It'll get the Silver Line soon, relieving the crowding a little (but three lines on one track will be a problem).

Archived