M-7 back and forth movements

SouthernRailway

I've seen threads mention that M-7s' grinding and banging noises coming from their trucks when the cars are in motion, but have others noticed that the M-7s seem to jerk back and forth a bit too when in motion? It feels as if they quickly accelerate and then brake for only a few seconds at most each time, and continually do this when they are moving.

Out of curiosity, what causes this?

The M-7 ride quality is so poor, with the truck banging and grinding and the jerking motions that I'm surprised that this wasn't fixed before they went into service.

Thanks.

The bolster statement is absolutely true. Anyone who is unfamiliar with the concept and function of a bolster, which carries the car body, should refer to the two simple diagrams on the page provided below, courtesy of the great gentry at the Railway Technical Web Pages:

US Truck Suspension

Most of the more noticeable noises are due to components which should be replaced at regular intervals, but are maintained instead.

So the grinding and banging noise are a maintenance issue- are the components basically falling apart but are being maintained with duct tape or something?

For the jerking, the slight back and forth movement is so frequent that it just seems as if maybe the motors aren't getting enough power, as if the electric current is flickering on and off, or something.

I really can't stand the M-7s due to the ride quality, and I usually like any type of passenger car.

It's been an ongoing issue with the M7s. The constant squeaking from the bolster is pretty annoying and I generally like the sounds associated with railroading.

There are newly built trains here in The Netherlands that squeak too, so even new trains aren't built good enough (except for the M8).

I was on an M7 last week and it kept making this weird hollow scraping noise, kinda sounding like a washing machine sucking water out.

The M3s had no problems and even had smoother rides over rough sections of track (that section after Baldwin just before RVC, I'm looking at you...) and over concrete ties. The M7s are supposed to have "smoother" rides and buck all over the goddamned place.

I fail to understand why, of the slew of EMUs out there- all of whom have trucks, and many of which could surely have just been taken off the rack or slightly modified- whoever designed the M7s must have decided to make the trucks a new way, with the results as poor as they are. Why?

Archived