memories of the old third avenue el

3rd Avenue El

this thread will be dedicated to the old third avenue el and the trains who once saw service on that mighty line. please post only pics of the 3rd avenue el or comments relating to that line

149th street junction

3rdavenueel3.jpg

149th street

3rdavenueel2.jpg

138th street

3rdavenueel1.jpg

166th street

3rdavenueel9.jpg

161st street

3rdavenueel8.jpg

163rd street curve

3rdavenueel7.jpg

161st street

3rdavenueel6.jpg

last day at 161st street

3rdavenueel5.jpg

3rd avenue el 156th street

3rdavenueel4.jpg

memories of the old third avenue el.

Wow a protest to save the El. I didn't even know that. It was only Robert Moses along with some rich bastards that hated mass transit that wanted this thing to come down. Along with people that hated the shadow, and the noise. However I agree that it shouldn't have came down, because there is no replacement or as we call the Second Avenue Subway. Sometimes the Second Avenue Subway is called "The Line Time Forgot" as throughout history people would propose it, but it never got done.

Guest lance25

@MC CJ: Actually, the Second Avenue El was torn down soon after the unification of the three different companies, probably because of the nearby Third Avenue line.

man thats one nice video of what you would typically see on the 3rd avenue el. you know the Q types did run on the 3rd avenue el and the LOW-V rode the second avenue el but they were to heavy so the Q types were brought in. but nice video like that great music sequel. theres another video and im going to try to post it. B):)

The thing I remember about the 70(8) Third Avenue El is that it was kind of like The Bronx's own loop.

You could deposit a token at East 149th Street in The Hub, ride to Gun Hill Road, transfer to a 70(2) and ride back to East 149th Street and 99% of the ride was elevated. Your ride would take you up Third and Webster Avenues and down White Plains Road, Southern Boulevard and Westchester Avenue.

This was the South Bronx of 1970-1973 - the era of former NYFD Dennis Smith's Report From Engine Company 82.

Wow it's nice. Tell the person he did a wonderful job on it.

Glad you liked it. That was just something I threw together one afternoon (consequently there are a couple of obvious omissions in the transfers), because it was a fairly well-defined what-if in my head and the subject had come up again. It's actually extremely quick to draw a relatively simple network that doesn't need any 45° angles (60° would also avoid that horrible number √2, but it looks really disconcerting for New York).

I tried to make it as self-explanatory as possible, but I should probably mention a few other things about it:

1) The discussion that goes "Jamaica Avenue is much nicer than Broadway (Brooklyn) because there's no middle track" had come up yet again: so I did run with a version of save-the-els that didn't need middle tracks.

2) The 12 in Brooklyn is a bit of a joke: I pretty much had to admit that there was no way of persuading anyone to use the 5th Avenue El, and I don't seriously think the Culver Shuttle would have been much more use had it run to Sands Street (although it gave me an excuse to keep the cool upper level loop). What it's actually about is giving MOW trains another way out of the 38th St Yard, avoiding that weird gap in northbound evening West End Line service that exists at the moment. Yes, I know that's a very long expensive yard lead, but it is a fantasy map.

3) I'm not really happy with the UES, although I have tried to improve it as much as I could. What I might do in version 2 of this map is extend the 53rd St el all the way across to 2nd Av, so that the UES local service actually goes somewhere where people want to go, although that makes it a lot less realistic as a what-if.

You are wrong about that one. That belongs to the Ninth Avenue Elevated. Here is proof.

title-9thave.jpg

http://www.nycsubway.org/lines/9thave-el.html

And Joe Brennan did a fantastic write-up on some pics of that one recently: link. The station that was added to the middle of it was unusual to say the least. It (and also 155th St on the same line) makes me want a time machine so I could go and railfan it.

Maybe an idea would be to connect the 11, and the 12 lines together to make a Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan Line which doesn't exist, and would have had served Downtown Brooklyn. Also you could reconfigure the 10 line so it would run with the 9 line in the Bronx.

former 3rd avenue el stations

south ferry

hanover square

fulton street

franklin square

chatham square

canal street

grand street

houston street

14th street

18th street

23rd street

28th street

34th street

42nd street

47th street

53rd street

59th street

67th street

76th street

84th street

89th street

99th street

106th street

116th street

125th street

129th street

133rd street

138th street

143rd street

149th street

156th street

161st street

166th street

169th street

claremont parkway

174th street

E. tremont avenue

180th street

183rd street

fordham road

bronx park

200th street

204th street

210th street

gun hill road

which of the stations above would you have liked to fan if the 3rd avenue el still operated today?

Archived