Fleets beg to keep gas guzzlin' taxis

Trainspotter

Fleets beg to keep gas guzzlin' taxis

Taxi fleet owners Thursday petitioned the Bloomberg administration for a temporary reprieve for the roomy stretch Crown Victoria cabs - the workhorse that's dominated the streets for a decade.

The city's green mandate requiring cabs get at least 25 miles per gallon after October of this year, and 30 miles per gallon after next October, will force fleets to buy more expensive taxis with less leg room, reliability and safety than the tanklike Crown Vics, the fleet owners griped at a Taxi and Limousine Commission hearing.

The list of hybrid models that the city has approved for the pollution-reducing initiative include several SUVs.

Starting in October, all new cabs put on the road must meet the fuel efficiency standard. The entire 13,237 fleet should meet the benchmark by 2012, TLC Commissioner Matthew Daus said. Fleet owners want the start date postponed until a suitable replacement for the Crown Vic is put on the market. If the request is granted, Ford will continue making Crown Vics, they said.

There's no data supporting claims the hybrid models are less reliable or safe, adding they are popular with passengers and cabbies, who save money on gasoline, Daus said.

From: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - May 9, 2008

Has anyone seen the toyota hybrids? They are the prius and one other model i'm not familiar with, a minivan. Not only are they using WAY less gas, but they fit more people.

- Andy

Ford should continue to make Crown Vics regardless.What do they want out police force to be driving around in? Little putt putts that go half as fast and can barely get moving to chase after criminals?

Yeah they need to keep it, but it is a decade old design that is overdue to be updated. More police forces are going with Impalas, Chargers, and Magnums these days. The CV won't servive if they don't come out with a new platform.

The old crow vic needs an update, but it's built like a tank. Why do you think most police departments use them and what is a more demanding city then NYC for taxis? It would be cool to see what an updated crown vic would look like though.

Ford should continue to make Crown Vics regardless.What do they want out police force to be driving around in? Little putt putts that go half as fast and can barely get moving to chase after criminals?

You have not been to NJ lately. Police been using dodge chargers. They look very intimidating, and can go faster and handle better and are safer than crown vic, impala, and caprice.

- Andy

You have not been to NJ lately. Police been using dodge chargers. They look very intimidating, and can go faster and handle better and are safer than crown vic, impala, and caprice.

- Andy

Well obviously since I live in Connecticut:rolleyes:And there somewhat of updated crown vics,they are basiclly the same but they are changed for todays standards,and the police change them anyways when they recieve the car....

We have a few dodge chargers however dodge chargers are of no use on these curvy,windy hick *** country roads. They are strictly used for chase cars.

Well obviously since I live in Connecticut:rolleyes:And there somewhat of updated crown vics,they are basiclly the same but they are changed for todays standards,and the police change them anyways when they recieve the car....

We have a few dodge chargers however dodge chargers are of no use on these curvy,windy hick *** country roads. They are strictly used for chase cars.

I've driven a charger at speed on winding back roads before, as we have them here too. I prefer traction controlled mopar 22--28 mpg safemusclemobile than an antiquated money pit boat like the crown vic. I have driven many, many cars at unsafe speeds on highways, back roads, and parking lots at like 3-4 am when there's no one out except for me and the fool who let me drive their car, and i would NEVER trust a crown vic over 55 mph let alone over 100. You can't slide a crown vic, they are designed poorly, the braking system is from 1987, the suspension is as tight as a 400lb woman in a moomoo, the power steering is lacking in refinement, the auto transmissions use 25-30 hp, and waste another 15, the headlights may as well be a midget strapped to the hood with a 5 dollar flashlight, and don't even get me started on the smell of the HVAC when new. I'd vote for a honda civic before i'd touch a crown vic if i was a cop.

- Andy

I've driven a charger at speed on winding back roads before, as we have them here too. I prefer traction controlled mopar 22--28 mpg safemusclemobile than an antiquated money pit boat like the crown vic. I have driven many, many cars at unsafe speeds on highways, back roads, and parking lots at like 3-4 am when there's no one out except for me and the fool who let me drive their car, and i would NEVER trust a crown vic over 55 mph let alone over 100. You can't slide a crown vic, they are designed poorly, the braking system is from 1987, the suspension is as tight as a 400lb woman in a moomoo, the power steering is lacking in refinement, the auto transmissions use 25-30 hp, and waste another 15, the headlights may as well be a midget strapped to the hood with a 5 dollar flashlight, and don't even get me started on the smell of the HVAC when new. I'd vote for a honda civic before i'd touch a crown vic if i was a cop.

- Andy

Police Interceptors are much different than factory CV's and handle excellent. Thats why 90% of the countries forces still use them. You have to drive one, and immediately you can tell the difference. The Marauder has a similar ride.

Police Interceptors are much different than factory CV's and handle excellent. Thats why 90% of the countries forces still use them. You have to drive one, and immediately you can tell the difference. The Marauder has a similar ride.

This was a police version

Don't ask.

- Andy

Archived