Why did CNG never really take off in the city?

Joel Up Front

The Orion Vs have some nasty exhaust issues, especially with the 1500s... nothing better than getting off the bus only to have hot burned CNG spewed right in your face. Makes you stop for a bit..

The NGs don't have that problem, maybe because the exhaust is pointed towards the road.

Oh man, you should've hung around the older Orion V CNGs with the Cummins L10Gs in them, those gave off a REALLY good stink whenever they pulled off!

Every time I rode the Cummins Orion Vs, I tried to get out through the front because I knew I'd run into hot CNG exhaust if I went out back.

Good thing only three of them are left now. 1636 is still running around, and it has no ad on the nose.

Lol at first when those buses were new, I didn't take too kindly to them at first because of their smelly exhaust and their engines... But after a while they pretty much grew on me after all the CNG buses that started coming with the Detroits in them.

Are there any other depots that could be converted to CNG? I'd think Eastchester since its almost in the middle of no where and the fumes would just add to the fumes from the nearby highways, but CNG D4500CTs would need to be bought.

Are there any other depots that could be converted to CNG? I'd think Eastchester since its almost in the middle of no where and the fumes would just add to the fumes from the nearby highways, but CNG D4500CTs would need to be bought.

The problem with that is the express fleet does get rotated a bit to keep the miles even. Eastchester is a high milage depot and if you buy CNG D4500s who else would you rotate the buses with? College Point and Spring Creek are also high mileage express depots.

The problem with that is the express fleet does get rotated a bit to keep the miles even. Eastchester is a high milage depot and if you buy CNG D4500s who else would you rotate the buses with? College Point and Spring Creek are also high mileage express depots.

Thanks for the insight. How about some of the other depots?

Archived