Why did CNG never really take off in the city?

Joel Up Front

Considering they're only really seen in Brooklyn and Queens...

You forgot about West Farms in the Bronx and Nassau.

But I would guess it's probably too much of a hassle in terms of maintaining the facility.

I still believe it was when they were decommissioning the LGA CNG facilities that someone screwed up and that led to the explosion there that melted a bus to its frames.

I still believe it was when they were decommissioning the LGA CNG facilities that someone screwed up and that led to the explosion there that melted a bus to its frames.

are there any pics? :eek:B)

Forgot the BX.

LI's fleet has been CNG forever and we all know it's all CNG, so I didn't include it.

On the other hand, out here in Nassau, the main garage is in one of the nicest parts of the island and RVC is relatively isolated...

i beg to differ, Mitchel Field depot is in an industrial area that while is near Garden City, its also near the Nassau ghetto towns of Hempstead and Uniondale.

Garden City might be very nice but it pales in comparison to the gold coast towns like Port Washington, Kings Point, Old Westbury, Mill Neck, Brookville, Oyster Bay Cove etc.

Well, it's nice compared to the towns around it. *looks at car-filled Hempstead and Uniondale* That Hempstead Turnpike is a good socioeconomic barrier...

RVC depot is in an area that already looks run down, but you can see the depot and buses pulling in if you take a train from RVC Station headed west. I think I saw one of the early 1500s just abandoned back there. Seems they got rid of it, though.

Well, it's nice compared to the towns around it. *looks at car-filled Hempstead and Uniondale* That Hempstead Turnpike is a good socioeconomic barrier...

RVC depot is in an area that already looks run down, but you can see the depot and buses pulling in if you take a train from RVC Station headed west. I think I saw one of the early 1500s just abandoned back there. Seems they got rid of it, though.

Ah, the many mornings I spent cruising down Hempstead Turnpike on the N72...

Manhattanville was supposed to be converted into a CNG depot a while back but those plans were scrapped I believe, safety issues and whatnot.

The real reason was, it is in residential area, a no-no to built CNG fuel station.

I remember seeing a photo of a Command Bus sitting in the yard fried because a bus driver on the Cross Island Parkway hit an underpass that was too low for the CNG tanks to clear and the bus exploded and he died. He was deadheading to the depot when this happened. I don't know where the photo is now though and I haven't had any luck finding an article about this incident either but that's scary.

Also don't forget that just because there are parts of the city that haven't been developed yet doesn't mean they'll stay that way for so long. I was originally thinking if Charleston could have been made a CNG facility except there are houses for the retired called "The Tides at Charleston" right across the street from the depot which would have inhibited such from occurring.

Just like how CNG never really took off in the rest of the country...nobody besides buses uses CNG here lol

However if you go to other countries CNG is used in everything from cars to buses to locomotives to even home heating

Hybrid cars caught on much better than CNG here in America so I guess we'll be sticking to that instead...

Just like how CNG never really took off in the rest of the country...nobody besides buses uses CNG here lol

However if you go to other countries CNG is used in everything from cars to buses to locomotives to even home heating

Hybrid cars caught on much better than CNG here in America so I guess we'll be sticking to that instead...

There are some states that have CNG cars, but because of the lack of refueling stations and such, there are little to no CNG cars on the road.

The Orion Vs have some nasty exhaust issues, especially with the 1500s... nothing better than getting off the bus only to have hot burned CNG spewed right in your face. Makes you stop for a bit..

The NGs don't have that problem, maybe because the exhaust is pointed towards the road.

I remember seeing a photo of a Command Bus sitting in the yard fried because a bus driver on the Cross Island Parkway hit an underpass that was too low for the CNG tanks to clear and the bus exploded and he died. He was deadheading to the depot when this happened. I don't know where the photo is now though and I haven't had any luck finding an article about this incident either but that's scary.

Again,

http://gallery.bustalk.info/displayimage.php?album=347&pos=119

Archived