Gerlaldine Ferraro dies

Shortline Bus

Geraldine Ferraro dies: Pioneer was the first female vice presidential candidate in U.S. history

BY Kathleen Lucadamo

NY DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Saturday, March 26th 2011

Geraldine Ferraro, the first female candidate for vice president and one of New York's most powerful congresswomen, died Saturday at age 75 after years of battling cancer.

Ferraro quickly rose from Queens District Attorney's Office to her neighborhood's House representative and, in 1984, gained fame as Democratic presidential candidate Walter Mondale's running mate. She was lauded as the first major Italian American to run on the ticket.

"She was very smart, she was very strong. She was a beautiful woman, an extraordinary package," former New York Gov. Mario Cuomo, a close family friend of Ferraro told the Daily News.

"She made everyone who knew her proud - women, Democrats, Italian Americans," he added

She died in Massachusetts General Hospital, where she was being treated for multiple myeloma, a blood cancer, according to published reports

Born in Newburgh, N.Y., she was a long-time resident of Forest Hills, Queens, and most recently lived in Manhattan.

Her run as the first female vice-presidential candidate was dogged by questions about her husband, John Zaccaro's finances.

She had two unsuccessful bids for Senate in the 1990s and ultimately served as the U.S. ambassador to the UN Commission on Human Rights during the Clinton Administration.

The fiesty Ferraro was most recently active in Hillary Clinton's 2008 presidential run and Andrew Cuomo's run for Attorney General."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2011/03/26/2011-03-26_geraldine_ferraro_dies_pioneer_was_the_first_female_vice_presidential_candidate_.html#ixzz1HjaEB2YO

Guys I am surprised since many of you here talk politcs here there not much more comments on this lady. Even if you don't like her political views, she is a trailblazer in American History.

She made it possible for Hillary, Sarah Palin and other ladies to run for national office in this country.:D

So? Not a big deal if no one talks about it. Not all subjects are interesting or known.

Maybe as a history buff I am more into this type of stuff that is all. She is as important as say Jesse Jackson presidential run in 1988 (paved way for Obama to be become elected in 2008)was that my point Councourse. When he passes on, he will get much more attention than Ferraro.

I was shocked to hear the news yesterday and had no idea she was battling cancer. Nevertheless I liked her because she was a woman of her word and never held back anything that she had to say. She also was a strong Italian-American woman and helped to improve our image as more than just mafiosi, but hard working educated folks. :tup:

As you said, she was certainly a trailblazer and paved the way for other women in politics at a time where women were still viewed as mere housewives.

Shortline: Take a chill pill, not everybody on here knows who she was.

I remember her running with Mondale in 1984. She fought a long and hard

battle with cancer(she was diagnosed in 1998). May she RIP.

I would rather have the Queensboro bridge named after her rather then former Mayor Koch who never did anything for Queens.

Shortline: Take a chill pill, not everybody on here knows who she was.

I remember her running with Mondale in 1984. She fought a long and hard

battle with cancer(she was diagnosed in 1998). May she RIP.

I would rather have the Queensboro bridge named after her rather then former Mayor Koch who never did anything for Queens.

Maybe you right. Great idea Locomotion on the Gerry idea. While I personally would like the Queensboro/59th Street Bridge name to stay the same, Bloomberg should have selected Ferraro instead if the bridge had to be renamed at all. She was a Queens Congresswoman and had respresented well the working class neighborhoods on Queens.

At least Bobby Kennedy(RFK Bridge) and Jackie Robinson(former Interboro)were Internationally known men who changed history forever during their lives.

Koch was a Good Mayor but he was no LGA to deserve the phrase of an Internationally known landmark like the 59th Street to be renamed in his honor. Instead maybe name a high school or something for Ed Koch.

My last comments on this topic is this. Nice job by C-Span to show a special hour focusing on Gerry Ferraro's carrer tonight 3/27/11.

The C-SPAN special also included, the landmark night in Summer 1984 when she accepted the nod to become the Democratic VP Canadiate the first time a Non-White Male had done so on a major party. While I did not agree with some of her liberal views, she is still a role model many people should admire and respect. Something modern national female political leaders (hello sarah palin) should take a page from.

RIP Gerry Ferraro.

Archived