My first NYC subway experience

Mistro

I posted this in my intro thread and thought it would be better posted here. I hope it's not inappropriate. This will most likely be my favorite area of these forums.

I remember my first experience on the subway; it was terrifying. My mom brought me into the Schenectady entrance of the Utica Ave. Station back in 1974 or 5 I believe. I remember the bright yellow handrails and the wooden turn stiles and the light bulbs that glared off the beams that were painted dark blue with yellow on the inside. There were no neon lights at that time. The trains looked sick as they rocked into the station. We got on the express #5 going uptown (the 5 and 2 were on the Newlots line at that time). As my mom held my hand, I was crying in terror as the train bounced at a very high speed through the tunnel making that very loud rhythmic noisewith the windows open.

That was my introduction to the NYC transit system. After that I suddenly couldn't wait to ride them and always made an effort to get to the front to look out the window.

By the way, does anyone know where I can get some good specs on an R26 interior. I'm creating a 3D model. Thanks in advance

Interesting. I wasn't scared on my first subway ride, I was just unsure and a little confused. I remember it was a weekday and my dad took the day off to take me to Battery Park City and show me it. We took the X90 going down, and coming back we got on an uptown (4) or (5) at Bowling Green. I don't remember everything exactly but I remember staring at the Brooklyn bound train and asking if that was our train.

thats a nice story Mistro :tup:

I actually don't remember my first time on the subway since I took it so much.

But I do remember my first time seeing an R160...

"whats an R143 doing on the (N)? :eek:"

I was probably 5 or 6 when I had my first subway experience...about 1956 or 1957. My parents brought me into NYC to see the touristy sites for the first time. We parked near the Museum of Natural History and after visiting there we went into the subway from the museum basement to head downtown.

As a child I was did not like loud noises. As anyone who has stood in the 81st Street CPW station knows, when an express train comes roaring through the station it is loud. It was even louder back in the 50s with the older, heavier cars. A couple of expresses went through the station before the local showed up. I was terrified.

By my third or fourth trip that day though, I was hooked - and have been ever since.

Archived