At least 200 dead as tornadoes tear through the Southern US: one of the worst ever

Shortline Bus

Alabama hit hardest as tornadoes tear through South; death toll hits 200

BY Lukas I. Alpert

NY DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thursday, April 28th 2011

"Killer tornadoes and thunderstorms left at least 200 people dead across five Southern states, and officials said Thursday they expected the toll to climb.

It is the deadliest tornado system to strike in the U.S. since 1936.

Alabama bore the burnt of the severe weather - with a staggering 131 confirmed deaths so far and the city of Tuscaloosa leveled by a massive, mile-wide tornado.

"We expect that toll, unfortunately, to rise," Gov. Robert Bentley told ABC's "Good Morning America."

Officials reported 32 dead in Mississippi and 15 fatalities in Tennessee. Another 11 were killed in Georgia and eight in Virginia.

Bentley said as many as a million people are without power in Alabama.

The National Weather Service's Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Okla., said it received 137 tornado reports around the regions, including 66 in Alabama and 38 in Mississippi.

President Obama approved Bentley's request for emergency federal assistance, and about 1,400 National Guard soldiers were being deployed around the state.

"Our hearts go out to all those who have been affected by this devastation, and we commend the heroic efforts of those who have been working tirelessly to respond to this disaster," Obama said in a statement.

At least 15 people were killed in Tuscaloosa - a city of 83,000 - and some neighborhoods were reduced to rubble.

"What we faced today was massive damage on a scale we have not seen in Tuscaloosa in quite some time," said Mayor Walter Maddox.

One hospital emergency room took in 100 people.

Survivors described terrifying scenes of houses coming apart around them.

"We were in the bathroom holding on to each other and holding on to dear life," said Samantha Nail, who lives in Pleasant Grove outside Birmingham. "If it wasn't for our concrete walls, our home would be gone."

One Birmingham family was trapped briefly in their home by uprooted trees.'

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/04/28/2011-04-28_alabama_hit_hardest_as_tornadoes_tear_through_south.html#ixzz1KpKJAq1S

Well, surely it's one of the most deadliest and biggest tornado outbreak in world history and no doubt North American history. Hopefully the recovery will be fast and with reduced pain, but no doubt it is pretty sad to see the aftermath of these powerful storms with strong tornadoes...

Also, this storm nearly spun a Tornado in the State of New Jersey earlier where Tornado Watches and Warnings was issued for several counties.

Very true. Sadly a terrible update. This evening 4/28/11 the combined death toll has reached nearly 300 people.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

Saw some vids of these tornado's on another site... scary stuff man. And the crazy thing is the spring/summer is just getting started, gonna be long one for the folks down there. Part of the reason I'm glad I live in the Northeast, worst weather we get is Blizzards.

Saw some vids of these tornado's on another site... scary stuff man. And the crazy thing is the spring/summer is just getting started, gonna be long one for the folks down there. Part of the reason I'm glad I live in the Northeast, worst weather we get is Blizzards.

Just to let you know, NYC is actually very vulnerable to hurricanes. We are a huge coastal city and the ground is near or below sea level. The fact we haven't got directly impacted by a hurricane is a miracle. If a hurricane did hit, the storm surge would flood almost the entire city and Lower Manhattan would be destroyed because the way NY Harbor is shaped, it would amplify the storm surge.

I called it a while ago just like I called the blizzards. Not that I'm the only one who said it mind you. Our number simply is up to be put through it. We'll manage it just like we do every year. And I can proudly say that when the heat comes I will be thoroughly grumpy. I likes my weather cool/cold.

Archived