As NYPD, MTA beef, snatcher hits again

Trainspotter

As NYPD, MTA beef, snatcher hits again

A purse snatcher who has been preying on straphangers - inadvertently sparking a power struggle between the NYPD and MTA - struck again Tuesday, police said.

The suspect's fifth robbery came as new statistics revealed crime in the subways is on the upswing this year.

The brute struck at 9:30 a.m. at the Rector St. station, pushing down a 24-year-old Manhattan woman and grabbing her purse.

Then he jumped to the tracks, took the cash from the purse, tossed the bag to the ground and disappeared into a tunnel.

The NYPD did not ask NYC Transit to cut the power to the tracks so they could pursue him.

Full story: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - May 21, 2008

I dunno bout any of you, but if i saw that crap i would go after the guy, 3rd rail on or not. People who act like that deserve punishment. Hopefully police & (MTA) will pull their heads outa their butts and figure out how to stop this efficiently and quickly.

- Andy

Running after someone down a live tunnel is not the best idea, you could become a hood ornament of a train. That or you could get zapped. Plus you don't know if they perp is armed. My money is not worth getting killed over and sooner or later this guy will slip up and gt killed. Also I think the (MTA) has their head so far up their a** they can see day light when it comes to this policy.

Running after someone down a live tunnel is not the best idea, you could become a hood ornament of a train. That or you could get zapped. Plus you don't know if they perp is armed. My money is not worth getting killed over and sooner or later this guy will slip up and gt killed. Also I think the (MTA) has their head so far up their a** they can see day light when it comes to this policy.

I wouldn't go into the tunnel, just where the platform area is, if it was safe (after train depart with red signals), plus like i said in another thread i'm usually carrying a legal sized non-concealed pocket knife. I am very justice minded, so if i saw it i probably wouldn't even think, just react to see if i can help. I would not put myself in a situation where i'd possibly worsen the outcome. I work a seasonal job each fall where i have a security position, and i deal with drunk people, all kinds of strange behavior, and i deal with the police sometimes too. I wouldn't be working that position if i didn't have good risk assessment and personal interaction skills. This guy is obviously either on drugs, in financial trouble, does it for the thrill, or some other reason. I would never let a crime happen in front of me without somehow assisting the victim or stepping in to prevent it in the first place. I know i'm not the police, and they may toss me in a cell for questioning even if the outcome was positive, but you gotta do what you gotta do, or else this world's gonna turn to crap. I know some of you would do the same, and some of you would simply MYOB, but you know, it's a personal choice that i made a long time ago after my friend was kidnapped (police found her alive and fine a week later) by her ex while walking to her car in front of my house after we said our goodnight's at my door.

- Andy

I have to agree with matted33 here. As much as I like to help out anyone whenever I can, life is a little more valuable than a purse. This is New York City! People are crazy as hell! What goes around ALWAYS comes back around. So people think they can do bad and get away with it, but they can't. Even if they are never caught by the police, they will still have hell to pay. Not only that, but what is the quality of life for people like that? They certainly aren't chillin in the Hamptons on the weekends, and wonder why they are stuck in the gutter, and have nothing. However I do feel exactly where you are coming from, but when you grow up in Bed-Stuy, you tend to look out for you life first, and help out second. It's sad, but very true. Thats why I wanted to be a police officer when I was young.

Theres a high chance this guy is gonna get hit by a train soon. But supposedly they caught the guy already or someone who might be the suspect.

I was on a stopped (E) train for like 2-3 minutes somewhere between midtown and downtown on my way home. Made me miss my train home & was 45 minutes late because of the path connection (also running late). Maybe related? Hope this person is in jail!

- Andy

I heard they cought him and for some odd reason he already had a criminal record. He should actually thank that police for getting to him before a train did. I'm still in some form of schock that the (MTA) has not changed its policy. The reason subway crime had been down for the past few years was because it a crime happened the police could use the emergency pull box and have power cut right away. I think since the tunnels are now a "safe escape" for criminal, we will see a rise in subway crime.

Archived