A little bit USA in Almere, The Netherlands

I'm sorry if this is the wrong section for this, but I didn't really know where to put it.

Anyways, in the borough of Almere-Buiten, there are some places that refer to New York/the USA. I took a few pictures, but there are more streets named like this (will take pictures of them later). Anyways, enjoy the first part for now -_-

Brooklyn Garage / Central Park Garage (bewoners=residents):

20110515165752458.jpg

Again:

20110515165822476.jpg

New Yorkweg (English: New York-way / New York-lane)

20110515165848798.jpg

Chicagostreet / New York-way / Montrealstreet (you can see the sign of the Montrealstreet in the back)

20110515165908580.jpg

did you know Coney Island comes from the dutch word Rabbit, Konijn? So we have a little bit of the Nederlands in NYC -_-

Theres also a New Utrecht Avenue in Brooklyn,

Actually there are tons of Dutch names all around the city due to the Dutch claiming Manhattan and other areas around the city and New York in general:

Brooklyn

Harlem (Dutch: Haarlem)

Bedford Stuyvesant (from Peter Stuyvesant who was of Dutch origin)

Staten Island (Dutch: Staaten Island)

Great Kills (Dutch: Kills)

Manhattan

etc.

@lilbluefoxie: Yeah, I already knthat including the names that Via Geribaldi lists ;)

@Via Geribaldi: Indeed :) And Brooklyn is named after the Dutch town "Breukelen".

Manhattan isn't a Dutch name; that one comes from the indians who called it "Manahatta", just like Rockaway which comes from "Ra ckawakka".

And Staten Island=Staaten Eiland actually, but you got it pretty good ;)

And there are more, like New Utrecht Avenue which is named after the Dutch city Utrecht. Also names like "Van Wyck", which is in new Dutch "Van Wijck". And there are tons of others :)

@lilbluefoxie: Yeah, I already knthat including the names that Via Geribaldi lists ;)

@Via Geribaldi: Indeed :) And Brooklyn is named after the Dutch town "Breukelen".

Manhattan isn't a Dutch name; that one comes from the indians who called it "Manahatta", just like Rockaway which comes from "Ra ckawakka".

And Staten Island=Staaten Eiland actually, but you got it pretty good ;)

And there are more, like New Utrecht Avenue which is named after the Dutch city Utrecht. Also names like "Van Wyck", which is in new Dutch "Van Wijck". And there are tons of others :)

No, Manhattan isn't but it was given a Dutch name (Nieuw Amsterdam = New Amsterdam). :) And yes, I screwed up on Staten Island. It's "Staaten Eiland" as you said.

Here are some other places that have Dutch names:

Nassau

Long Island

Flushing

The Bronx

Catskills

Coney Island (Dutch = "Konijnen Eiland" - means "Rabbit Island" in Dutch)

:cool:

No. Nieuw Amsterdam=New York, not just Manhattan :P

Nassau is indeed Dutch. It's named after the royal family which ruled The Netherlands in that time.

Flushing=Vlissingen (a town in the province Zeeland)

And Coney Island is true indeed :P

But I didn't know that Long Island and The Bronx are also Dutch names? And I dunno where catskills is :(

Archived