Loss of HEP on NEC?

mysterd429

Hi all. A few weekends ago, we took a trip to Boston and took the train from NYC. At a few points along the way, the lights and AC would go out and come back on after 30 or 45 seconds. My guess was that there was some kind of electrical (but probably not physical) gap in the overhead wire, and that the HEP needed that time to restart. So ... was I right? If not, what was going on? Thanks!

Hi all. A few weekends ago, we took a trip to Boston and took the train from NYC. At a few points along the way, the lights and AC would go out and come back on after 30 or 45 seconds. My guess was that there was some kind of electrical (but probably not physical) gap in the overhead wire, and that the HEP needed that time to restart. So ... was I right? If not, what was going on? Thanks!

Phase breaks/dead sections. The train must drop its pantographs when passing through the area. Boston-NYC has 2 of these, IIRC. Just east of New Haven and just before Sunnyside.

Phase breaks/dead sections. The train must drop its pantographs when passing through the area. Boston-NYC has 2 of these, IIRC. Just east of New Haven and just before Sunnyside.

There are many more than 2 between NYP & BOS. You have a voltage change east of Gate and east of Manor (entering Metro North) just on the Hellgate Line alone. There's another voltage change east of NHV going back to Amtrak territory. Metro North has 4 phase breaks between NRO and NHV. 7 more dead sections exist on Amtrak territory between NHV and BOS at various points, last one being east of Sharon Station.

Also, the pantographs are not dropped in these areas, the engineer just has to make sure the engine is not taking power while passing through the dead section/phase break.

Thank you both for the replies. I remember about seven or eight times that this happened.

Are the phase and voltage changes the result of moving between different power sources? How does the engineer know when to cut off power? Would be bad for the engine, bad for the power source, or both if the engine were taking power during a change?

Thank you both for the replies. I remember about seven or eight times that this happened.

Are the phase and voltage changes the result of moving between different power sources? How does the engineer know when to cut off power? Would be bad for the engine, bad for the power source, or both if the engine were taking power during a change?

The dead sections are a result of voltage and/or frequency changes. Other than those, most of the other dead sections are just near substations. The engineer knows from the Timetables and in most locations there are signs posted as a reminder, except for one along Metro North. Yes it would be bad for the engine, wire and any electronic devices connected to power in the coaches.

There are many more than 2 between NYP & BOS. You have a voltage change east of Gate and east of Manor (entering Metro North) just on the Hellgate Line alone. There's another voltage change east of NHV going back to Amtrak territory. Metro North has 4 phase breaks between NRO and NHV. 7 more dead sections exist on Amtrak territory between NHV and BOS at various points, last one being east of Sharon Station.

Also, the pantographs are not dropped in these areas, the engineer just has to make sure the engine is not taking power while passing through the dead section/phase break.

NJ Transit has two on the NJCL at Morgan Bridge and After Matawan Station. Comet II-IV, the light cut and the e-lights kick in. Comet V, goes completely dark. Multilevels, lights flicker. Arrows (Only for Morgan since they can't go past Matawan), Lights dim.

I believe on the new haven section they have at least one bridge that requires drop pans due t there being no wire on that bridge.

Hopefully soon they will have that fixed. With the shore line being relatively late to electrification past new haven its not a huge priority. The old new haven railroad overhead lines have been totally replaced by constant tension.

- A

I believe on the new haven section they have at least one bridge that requires drop pans due t there being no wire on that bridge.

Hopefully soon they will have that fixed. With the shore line being relatively late to electrification past new haven its not a huge priority. The old new haven railroad overhead lines have been totally replaced by constant tension.

- A

Just to clarify, a pantograph is never to be dropped during operation unless a drop pantograph order is issued by the dispatcher and that is most likely in a case of wire damage. Also not all of the catenary wires on Metro North have been replaced by constant tension. Older floating beam system still exists in vicinity of East Bridgeport Yard.

• 1 month later...
Just to clarify, a pantograph is never to be dropped during operation unless a drop pantograph order is issued by the dispatcher and that is most likely in a case of wire damage. Also not all of the catenary wires on Metro North have been replaced by constant tension. Older floating beam system still exists in vicinity of East Bridgeport Yard.

Correct. There is still a stretch with the older floating beam construction. The old old part that once had line and was torn down under mcginnus (sp?) was constructed as constant tension. The branch lines have wire here and there but isn't used. There is one bridge on the shore line with no wire, it has a standing drop pan order. It should be fixed son though.

- A

Archived