Bloomberg: Gas crunch may overstress LIRR, subways

Trainspotter

Bloomberg: Gas crunch may overstress LIRR, subways

Without a funding plan such as congestion pricing, a crush of commuters from New York City's suburbs who have abandoned their cars for public transit because of high gas prices would further burden the city's already stressed transit system, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Thursday.

"We came up with one plan, we fought very hard for it ... and for some reason or another, Albany said, 'No, we have a better plan,'" Bloomberg said, referring to the congestion pricing plan he championed that was defeated last month in Albany.

Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials said Wednesday that higher gas prices, in part, have prompted increased ridership on the Long Island Rail Road. The number of LIRR commuters in April increased 10.4 percent over the same month in 2007, according to the MTA's preliminary figures.

Full story: amny_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - May 23, 2008

I've ridden the LIRR a few times in the last 3 months, and i gotta say, there are more people riding now than the same time last year just by looking at the crowds at penn station and on the platforms of other stations. The time of the LIRR becoming mostly multi-level through the whole day is upon us. Anyone know of any (MTA)LIRR rail car orders pending or approved?

- Andy

I got some info on the train home the other day that (NJT) might loan LIRR equipment on days when there is too much outbound traffic for LIRR to handle. Was talking to a NJT technology operations integration person. He said they would possibly loan LIRR unused single level cars if LIRR had available power to move them. I am guessing they would use the 3rd rail/diesel dual mode locomotives to move them from penn station through to long island. Another plan they had drawn up was pushing (NJT) diesels though to long island if there was a certain pattern of 3rd rail disruption (past the tunnel entrance in queens). He also said they might be testing this scenario several times over the next few months during the overnight hours. If this guy was for real & not talking out his arse that would be extremely interesting to witness or get on video etc. I'll ask around to try and see what the real deal is.

- Andy

I got some info on the train home the other day that (NJT) might loan LIRR equipment on days when there is too much outbound traffic for LIRR to handle. Was talking to a NJT technology operations integration person. He said they would possibly loan LIRR unused single level cars if LIRR had available power to move them. I am guessing they would use the 3rd rail/diesel dual mode locomotives to move them from penn station through to long island. Another plan they had drawn up was pushing (NJT) diesels though to long island if there was a certain pattern of 3rd rail disruption (past the tunnel entrance in queens). He also said they might be testing this scenario several times over the next few months during the overnight hours. If this guy was for real & not talking out his arse that would be extremely interesting to witness or get on video etc. I'll ask around to try and see what the real deal is.

- Andy

WHAT?!?! I'm guessing NJT would do this during off peak because for peak, holy crap that'll cause hell. Shocking to hear.

WHAT?!?! I'm guessing NJT would do this during off peak because for peak, holy crap that'll cause hell. Shocking to hear.

This only would be after delivery of their recently ordered multilevels according tho this guy. Also keep in mind the one plan is kind of an extreme measure incase LIRR riders might be stranded. Busses are only reasonable out to a certain distance and where might the extra busses come from during peak hours? Wouldn't really affect (NJT) operations if you think about it. They are ordering so much new equipment that if the need did arise, the plan that this guy was going on about would not only work, but be a very awesome excellent plan in case of an overly strong road closing winter storm. It just makes you realize that they really do think of everything to keep people from being stuck. I was shocked too. His (NJT) ID badge and the fact that it's for an office in newark tells me he was for real. Again, these are extreme contingency plans, not something that would ever happen in normal operations. I wonder if i can run into this guy again, he was on the 5:01 out of nyp which i boarded at newark. I'll try to look for him next week on my way home. If i'm really lucky i can get him to explain the plans again & post on youtube.

- Andy

This only would be after delivery of their recently ordered multilevels according tho this guy. Also keep in mind the one plan is kind of an extreme measure incase LIRR riders might be stranded. Busses are only reasonable out to a certain distance and where might the extra busses come from during peak hours? Wouldn't really affect (NJT) operations if you think about it. They are ordering so much new equipment that if the need did arise, the plan that this guy was going on about would not only work, but be a very awesome excellent plan in case of an overly strong road closing winter storm. It just makes you realize that they really do think of everything to keep people from being stuck. I was shocked too. His (NJT) ID badge and the fact that it's for an office in newark tells me he was for real. Again, these are extreme contingency plans, not something that would ever happen in normal operations. I wonder if i can run into this guy again, he was on the 5:01 out of nyp which i boarded at newark. I'll try to look for him next week on my way home. If i'm really lucky i can get him to explain the plans again & post on youtube.

- Andy

Ya, not best thing to post something like that on Youtube. The conductor may not like that in the first place. Best to just listen out and post back.

Ya, not best thing to post something like that on Youtube. The conductor may not like that in the first place. Best to just listen out and post back.

Oh, they don't care about cameras or photos being taken. I'd post it private on youtube so i can post it here. The time i took video out the back of the cab car it was the conductor i was talking to.

- Andy

Archived