The 406 line makes too many stops to philly which segments slow down the 406??

With all of the buses that have reduced service just to Camden. I thought the 406 could be next but now I don't see that possible. The 406 is a busy line especially during the weekdays when it stops at the Cherry Hill Industrial Park and when it operates via Lincoln Drive in Marlton. Many of those riders commute to and from Philadelphia.

One thing I must say is that the on time performance with the 406 is lowsy especially on Fridays when the traffic in Philadelphia is heavy. Route 70 is also a problem ( in both directions) between the Garden State Marketplace and 295. ( For non locals-basically I mean through Cherry Hill). However, I do not feel that there is a need to reduce service to Camden at this time. From the East Camden vicinity, the 405 and 407 were already cut back to the Walter Rand leaving the 404 and 406 to pick up the slack for passengers in East Camden who may want to head straight to Philly without having to get off and take another bus from Walter Rand or catch PATCO. In addition to that, the 406 is a D4000 route and buses are often used to rideshare other routes that are long distance such as the 316, 402 or the 551.

With all of the buses that have reduced service just to Camden. I thought the 406 could be next but now I don't see that possible. The 406 is a busy line especially during the weekdays when it stops at the Cherry Hill Industrial Park and when it operates via Lincoln Drive in Marlton. Many of those riders commute to and from Philadelphia.

One thing I must say is that the on time performance with the 406 is lowsy especially on Fridays when the traffic in Philadelphia is heavy. Route 70 is also a problem ( in both directions) between the Garden State Marketplace and 295. ( For non locals-basically I mean through Cherry Hill). However, I do not feel that there is a need to reduce service to Camden at this time. From the East Camden vicinity, the 405 and 407 were already cut back to the Walter Rand leaving the 404 and 406 to pick up the slack for passengers in East Camden who may want to head straight to Philly without having to get off and take another bus from Walter Rand or catch PATCO. In addition to that, the 406 is a D4000 route and buses are often used to rideshare other routes that are long distance such as the 316, 402 or the 551.

where do those ppl on rte 70 the traffic head to on I295???

where do those ppl on rte 70 the traffic head to on I295???

That's like asking "where are people heading to on the turnpike".

There are a lot of stops on the 406 because it gets used a lot, mainly weekdays. If you see the line to get on a 406 in Camden(WRTC), you'll wonder why service isn't more frequent.

That's like asking "where are people heading to on the turnpike".

There are a lot of stops on the 406 because it gets used a lot, mainly weekdays. If you see the line to get on a 406 in Camden(WRTC), you'll wonder why service isn't more frequent.

I wondered that myself when I used it I thought to myself it should at least run every 20 mins and 10 mins with X variants at rush hour. However I may of went overboard with the X variants. Does the 406 need an X or limited stop variant???

I hear one trip in Marlton, around 11 AM, there were over 100 passengers within the hour, and the bus wasn't in Cherry Hill yet, that was 'to' Philadelphia.

WOW thats extreme!!!!!!!!! it increased that much????? should it run every 15 mins or should it run like a city bus in terms of frequency???

What I meant when I said that is: that corridor on Route 70 is very busy for one it narrows down to 2 lanes, for two there are a lot of businesses in that vicinity between 4 shopping centers( 2 of which are enormous) a nursing home, 2 hotels, car dealers etc. Many passengers get on and off the 406 along that corridor. As someone who has driven on Route 70 numerous times, there is a lot of traffic in that area. During the week, it stays backed up! As far as adding service...I don't think they need a LIMITED or an express but maybe if they increased the service on midday hours from 40 minutes to 20 minutes, it would help alleviate some of the overcrowding.

What I meant when I said that is: that corridor on Route 70 is very busy for one it narrows down to 2 lanes, for two there are a lot of businesses in that vicinity between 4 shopping centers( 2 of which are enormous) a nursing home, 2 hotels, car dealers etc. Many passengers get on and off the 406 along that corridor. As someone who has driven on Route 70 numerous times, there is a lot of traffic in that area. During the week, it stays backed up! As far as adding service...I don't think they need a LIMITED or an express but maybe if they increased the service on midday hours from 40 minutes to 20 minutes, it would help alleviate some of the overcrowding.
but without LIMITED or express service how would the bus stay on-time??? I got burned by it before ya know.

All the 406 needs is to run a little more frequent during the weekdays and nothing more. It needs no variants. I've seens buses running empty through Virtua Hosp. at times.

interesting. Wasn't infrequency and indirect routing the reason 406 ridership to medford lakes was cut cause according to my old schedule it was quite useless out there for ppl out there. What do you think about the rte 206 corridor???

• 2 weeks later...
WOW thats extreme!!!!!!!!! it increased that much????? should it run every 15 mins or should it run like a city bus in terms of frequency???

Maybe they should do "Double Buses" like the 460... Only one would start Berlin, then the second one would start at Marlton but only divert to Lincoln Dr or Cherry Hill Industrial Park

Archived