Is the MTA Unfair to the Outer Boroughs?

BrooklynBus

The (R) is almost never crowded, but it would still be nice if there was more frequent service on it. 10 minute service during rush hour is terrible for a subway line.

Going back to Staten Island, I've switched to taking the (6) to the (4)(5) to reach the ferry, rather than waiting for the (R) and risking a 20 minute wait for the ferry (to be fair, the (R) hasn't caused me to miss a ferry yet)

LOL.... Yeah and it's never crush packed because it's so slow to begin with. I always hated that train for what it's worth. Never connected really with the ferry going to Whitehall and I usually always missed an (R) coming from the ferry too.

Guest lance25
I've said this a million times, but the (R) train is the slowest train on earth. It makes way too many stops (even for a local subway line)...

What do you want, the (R) to run across the Manhattan Bridge, for it to terminate at 57 St-7 Av? For the first, what will serve the lower Manhattan or downtown Brooklyn stations? Regarding the second, the (M) can't handle the Queens Blvd Local by itself on weekdays and if you want the (N) or the (Q) to run to 71 Av, then you're shafting the Astoria riders by giving them less service. Transit is limited in its routing options since the majority of the system was built to compete with each other, not compliment each other.

What do you want, the (R) to run across the Manhattan Bridge, for it to terminate at 57 St-7 Av? For the first, what will serve the lower Manhattan or downtown Brooklyn stations? Regarding the second, the (M) can't handle the Queens Blvd Local by itself on weekdays and if you want the (N) or the (Q) to run to 71 Av, then you're shafting the Astoria riders by giving them less service. Transit is limited in its routing options since the majority of the system was built to compete with each other, not compliment each other.

lol... I don't want anything. I said I do everything to avoid using that line and that's the best thing to do. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way about the (R). Previously I had to put up with the (R) because I was using the ferry, but now that I've been using the express bus for the past almost 6 years, I rarely use the (R). I may use it one stop from say 23rd to 14th, but certainly not for any long period of time. I do think though that new trains would certainly make them a tad faster than the current trains that they're running on the line.

LOL.... Yeah and it's never crush packed because it's so slow to begin with. I always hated that train for what it's worth. Never connected really with the ferry going to Whitehall and I usually always missed an (R) coming from the ferry too.

Exactly.

Luckily, I've found out that going on the lowest level of the SI Ferry and then running out as soon as it docks can often help you catch the (R).

Even on the S93, for some reason it always misses the (R) by a minute or two. :mad:

Archived