Trip to Arthur Ave.

Via Garibaldi 8

I have some Italian friends of mine who I'll be hanging out with here and there and one of them wants to go around the city. I want to take her up to Arthur Ave. (actually I think I want to go more since I've never been lol), but I don't want to use the subway. It looks like my best options would be the BXM4 over on the Grand Concourse or Metro North. Metro North appears to be somewhat close in terms of walking distance, but I'm not quite sure and I'm also not so sure of the neighborhood. If it's too much of a hassle I'll just ditch it, since I doubt there are any decent car services over there. In any event, how is the area from say MetroNorth or the BXM4 over by East Tremont Avenue? :confused:

Bad, bad, bad. At least according to my pessimistic view of the borough of the Bronx.

I recommend you actually take the Metro-North to Fordham Road rather than Tremont Avenue. Fordham Plaza is better than East Tremont. Busier, more built-up, also the Fordham Road buses will serve you better than the Tremont Avenue buses if you elect to use them.

On Fordham you should take either a Bx9, Bx12 local, or Bx22 to Fordham Road & Hoffman Street. Arthur Avenue is the block just east of Hoffman and is a very short distance away. You can also walk all the way from the train if you want, I'd say this would take about 15 minutes. The buses would get you to Hoffman Street in about 3 minutes since the stops are far apart over there. This part of Fordham Road isn't too bad. There's a big high school and Fordham University across the street. There are some auto repair shops, a tattoo parlor, and a White Castle in the area which may make it somewhat strange, but overall it's not that bad an area. Much, much better than Tremont Avenue from Sedgwick Avenue to West Farms Square.

Bad, bad, bad. At least according to my pessimistic view of the borough of the Bronx.

I recommend you actually take the Metro-North to Fordham Road rather than Tremont Avenue. Fordham Plaza is better than East Tremont. Busier, more built-up, also the Fordham Road buses will serve you better than the Tremont Avenue buses if you elect to use them.

On Fordham you should take either a Bx9, Bx12 local, or Bx22 to Fordham Road & Hoffman Street. Arthur Avenue is the block just east of Hoffman and is a very short distance away. You can also walk all the way from the train if you want, I'd say this would take about 15 minutes. The buses would get you to Hoffman Street in about 3 minutes since the stops are far apart over there. This part of Fordham Road isn't too bad. There's a big high school and Fordham University across the street. There are some auto repair shops, a tattoo parlor, and a White Castle in the area which may make it somewhat strange, but overall it's not that bad an area. Much, much better than Tremont Avenue from Sedgwick Avenue to West Farms Square.

LOL... I met one of my Italian friends at the MoMA and after viewing a sh*t load of pieces with her and another one of her friends (they are both artists) discussing the history and such behind certain pieces and so on, we eventually moved to the garden area and she told me about the area because while she grew up in Italy, she spent her summers there by Arthur Avenue in the Bronx and she told me exactly what you said, albeit in Italian since her English is somewhat limited. Apparently Arthur Avenue is isolated in that it isn't close to the train station, but she says that she takes the (B) or the (D) to Grand Concourse and Fordham Rd and just walks over (she now actually lives here in NYC in Washington Heights w/her two kids), so what I'll do is take the BXM4 to Grand Concourse and Fordham Rd and meet up w/her like that if she's not in the Midtown area and walk over from there.

We were going to go tomorrow because one of her Italian friends has never been and wants to go as well, but the weather will be sh*tty and I have a few rush projects to finish for Monday, so we'll have to plan it another time. :P

Many thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. :cool: Just another quick question... Is Fordham Rd flat or are there hills? I noticed while looking on Google maps before I went out this morning that some parts over there look sloped.

Going east, you have a downhill from Valentine Avenue down to Webster Avenue, then a slight uphill from Third Avenue to about Hoffman Street.

Okie dokie... Can't be any worse than Staten Island. My neighborhood esp. has a ton of hills and I've been dealing with it for 7 years now. As annoying as they are I've learned to plan my trips to and from the express bus around them. A few hills are worth it if the Italian food is as good and authentic as everyone I've spoken to claims. :P

Little Italy is a nice area. I sometimes bike to there.. Library (Belmont), a few italian pizza and local restaurants), the Bronx Zoo on 185th/Southern, etc.

Tremont RR station isnt a good idea due to the fact that some trains stop there. Not all trains.

The Bx17 goes thru the heart of Little Italy, the Bronx (Around 187th and Crotona). Bx9/Bx19 also on Southern Blvd/187th. Bx15/55LTD on the 3rd and 185rd Around as well (Near St. Barnabas Hospital)

You might also wanna check out the Bronx Tour trolly which tours you around East Tremont and Fordham's Little Italy:

http://www.ilovethebronx.com/?pg=load&loc=bronxtrolley

Archived