747-8 And 787 Delivery Race Back On

7478FCargolux.jpg

Guy Norris - Delivery of the first 747-8F and 787 is once again developing into a close-run race with hand over of the first new generation 747-8F sliding towards later September, possibly coming within days of the first 787 delivery, now officially confirmed by Boeing for Sept. 25.

Following events on Sept. 25-26, Boeing says the initial 787 for All Nippon Airways is set to depart the manufacturer’s Everett site in Washington on Sept. 27, with arrival the next day in Tokyo.

Boeing and Cargolux are meanwhile working on a revised date for acceptance of the first 747-8 which was officially certificated by FAA and the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) on Aug. 19. Program sources indicated the handover was originally targeted for Sept. 7, but now the manufacturer and Cargolux are thought to be examining delivery options later in the month.

The 747-8 and 787 programs have gradually converged over the past three years owing to delays to both development efforts. Following the 747-8F’s award of an amended type certificate earlier this month, it has been widely assumed this would narrowly beat the 787 to first delivery. However the timing of the handover is also paced by pre-delivery flight tests of the first aircraft, believed to be RC502. Boeing declines to comment on specific dates but says it will deliver the first 747-8F in September.

Confirmation of the 787-8 delivery dates comes as Boeing received certification from the FAA and EASA during a ceremony at Everett on Aug. 26. FAA Administrator Randy Babbitt presented the U.S. type certificate while Patrick Goudou, executive director of EASA, presented the European ticket. The FAA certificate was presented to 787 Chief Pilot Mike Carriker and 787 VP and Chief Project Engineer Mike Sinnett, while the EASA clearance was given to Dan Mooney, VP of 787-8 Development, and Terry Beezhold, former leader of the 787 Airplane Level Integration Team.

Babbitt also presented Boeing with the amended production certificate 700, which adds the 787 to the list of Boeing Commercial Airplane production systems that are now cleared for production.

The first passenger flight of the 787 will be a special charter flight between Tokyo’s Narita airport and Hong Kong on Oct. 26-27.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/

• 5 months later...

I'm glad the 747 made a come back. I loved em ever since I been on a BA747; now BA mainly use 757s(never knew they had 757s in the fleet until last week wen I passed Newark intl') or 777 for the Atlantic crossings.

Yep. BA had everything from the 707 to 777, and 787's on order. Rumor has it they are evaluating the new 747 to operate alongside the new A380's.

BA only ordered 12 A380-800 powered by Rolls-Royce Trent 970. But 744 fleet are more than 50 aircraft, and I think this 12 aircraft will cover only the replacement for 744 with tail numbers G-BNL*

exceptions:

G-BNLA , D and H were withdrawn from service and stored

G-BNLB and C were scrapped in Cardiff.

BA Cargo Division (World Cargo) have 747-8F leased. If Rolls-Royce power is available to determinate aircraft, BA choose Rolls-Royce. The exception was 777-200 non-ER and earlier 777-200ER, BA instead Trent 800, chose GE90. Years later, BA did new 777-200ER orders, but they came back to prefer the main engine provider : Rolls-Royce.

Greetings from Chile.

Yep. BA had everything from the 707 to 777, and 787's on order. Rumor has it they are evaluating the new 747 to operate alongside the new A380's.

Oh wow didn't know they ordered A380s; def gona have to take trip when they enter service. I know they ordered 4 or 5 new 777s, but I'm not a fan of the 777s. Whenever I think of BA I automatically assume 747, so it would be nice if they get more of these new boys.

BA is one of my favorite airlines. I can't wait till they get the 787's they have on order. They have 12 A380's on order as well.

As for the 777, I absolutely love that plane! It's the most advanced, fuel efficient, longest ranged twin engine ever created. And the GE powered planes are the most reliable jets ever built to date with zero shutdowns, and a 99.5% dispatch reliability rating. Those babies are the baddest bitches in the sky!

An interesting bit of info.....

American Airlines 777's have Rolls-Royce engines, and the majority of BA's have GE engines.

BA only ordered 12 A380-800 powered by Rolls-Royce Trent 970. But 744 fleet are more than 50 aircraft, and I think this 12 aircraft will cover only the replacement for 744 with tail numbers G-BNL*

exceptions:

G-BNLA , D and H were withdrawn from service and stored

G-BNLB and C were scrapped in Cardiff.

BA Cargo Division (World Cargo) have 747-8F leased. If Rolls-Royce power is available to determinate aircraft, BA choose Rolls-Royce. The exception was 777-200 non-ER and earlier 777-200ER, BA instead Trent 800, chose GE90. Years later, BA did new 777-200ER orders, but they came back to prefer the main engine provider : Rolls-Royce.

Greetings from Chile.

BA actually prefers GE90 engines, but they got a lot of flack about not going with Rolls-Royce. They have experienced in flight shutdowns of the RR powered planes, and you no doubt remember a crash landing of one of the planes which suffered a power loss on landing.

As for the 747-8F, those are only available with GEnx engines.

BA actually prefers GE90 engines, but they got a lot of flack about not going with Rolls-Royce. They have experienced in flight shutdowns of the RR powered planes, and you no doubt remember a crash landing of one of the planes which suffered a power loss on landing.

As for the 747-8F, those are only available with GEnx engines.

G-YMMM was the written off aircraft. (Trent 895).

GE powered 777-200ER (GE90-85B) have lower MTOW and lower thrust than RR powered 777-200ER, so GE 77E are used on shorter flights than RR 77E.

Personally , I dislike all RR Trent series engines.

Archived