MTA graduation: Grading Jay Walder

dmouse

356d1b17433280942cbbbe061b86.jpg

MTA Chairman Jay Walder held court for the last time yesterday at his final MTA board meeting before he departs next month.

Walder was plucked from his $350,000 MTA gig to work for MTR Corporation in Hong Kong, a company that runs rail services in Europe and Asia, for a nearly $1-million salary.

Governor Andrew Cuomo must appoint a new chair by October 21st, Walder's last day.

When Walder came onboard, many hoped he would revolutionize the MTA with his management know-how. He saved the MTA millions by eliminating waste and can be credited with the popular countdown clocks.

But he also, in large part due to a state budget crunch, was forced to lead the MTA through a dark period that saw more crowded trains, two subway lines eliminated and a massive fare hike.

Metro reflected on Walder's tenure:

Transparency: * A

Upon taking control of the MTA, Walder promised more communication. He vowed to clear up confusing signage and redesign the authority’s website. He rolled out a new website in May 2010 and more signs than ever before paper the subway system.

Budget balancing: A

Another area where Walder has been able to deliver: Under his “Making Every Dollar Count” plan, the MTA has undergone unprecedented cost-cutting measures. Over 600 redundant administrative employees at the MTA were laid off, 15 percent of staff, which resulted in $50 million worth of savings for the agency.

Countdown clocks: * B +

The most visible change on the subways: Countdown clocks were installed at more than 150 stations, providing riders with real-time train arrival information. "Countdown clocks are another way we are fundamentally changing the customers’ experience," Walder said. The clocks aren't systemwide yet, however, and they aren't always accurate, either.

Buses: D

When Walder first came to the MTA from London, he was eager to replicate the British bus system. “In London, you carry nearly twice as many people in the bus system as you do on the Underground,” he told the New York Times at the start of his tenure. Yes, Walder has expanded Select Bus Service and cleared bus-only lanes. But all that progress is far outweighed by the massive bus cuts he enacted. Over 130 local and express bus routes were shortened or altered, and 37 bus routes were axed entirely.

Crime: F

Last year, Walder removed 450 station agents. Some riders say that fewer MTA employees make the system scarier *— and some even fear that their absence has caused the rise in crime. Robbery has skyrocketed in the subway system, up nearly 40 percent from last year. What’s worse, Walder also axed 254 cleaners, making room for more trash bags and rats, riders say.

Fare collection: F

Walder implemented the Oyster Card in London, an all-purpose, contactless transit card. He wants to replace the MetroCard with a similar tap system, but don't hold your breath -- that won't be until 2014. It costs the MTA 15 cents per dollar to collect fares, and since the futuristic cards refill automatically, they would reduce costs and congestion at the turnstiles.

Service improvement: F

Just months after assuming the helm of the MTA, Walder oversaw an unprecedented amount of service cuts. Walder said the Dec. 2009 service cuts were necessary as the MTA desperately needed to close a $900 million budget gap. Riders also remember the horrendous response to the “Snowpocalypse” of last winter, and the fare hike for the unlimited MetroCard, which rose from $89 to $104.

Source: http://www.metro.us/newyork/local/article/982820--mta-graduation-grading-jay-walder

Talk about about a naive article, you can't give somebody nothing and expect them to make something. He had no money, he had to cut and we all had to suffer, but the problem isn't his fault. I give Giuliani an F for the service and those station agents, cause he was slashing the budget back when we were in a SURPLUS!

I thought it was pretty harsh/naive too when I read it yesterday. Cut Walder some slack he wasn't here very long.

It's true that Walder didn't have cooperation from Albany. But it's also true that he did nothing to get the public on his side to publicize how Albany was stealing dedicated transit funds. He didn't even make a statement at the beginning of the public hearings that the Albany cuts are what necessitated the service cuts.

As far as cutting him slack because he was there for a short period of time, don't forget that he was the one who decided to leave early.

Also, while the website is improved, I find it far from transparent in terms of what it shows (still doesn't display the service guideline) and the difficulty in finding reports. If you don't know what to look for, you won't find it.

Finally, one could argue that he doesn't even deserve a B+ for the countdown clocks since they were planned before he came aboard and would have been done anyway. Exactly what did he contribute to the process? Did he speed it up?

A- wasting tax dollars on court actions

A- in non sensical service cost cutting

A- pissing off the public

A- pissing off blue collar employees

A- sneaking managerial salary increases without the public knowing

A- in ripping $$$$ off more with outsourcing and more private contracting

A- running out before contract is up

A- in lying about using every dollar wisely

In other words:

FAIL

A- wasting tax dollars on court actions

A- in non sensical service cost cutting

A- pissing off the public

A- pissing off blue collar employees

A- sneaking managerial salary increases without the public knowing

A- in ripping $$$$ off more with outsourcing and more private contracting

A- running out before contract is up

A- in lying about using every dollar wisely

In other words:

FAIL

For a (MTA) employee this view which of course is one-sided is not a shock. Walder had a bad relationship with the unions. Hawk is of course entilted to his own take.

For a (MTA) employee this view which of course is one-sided is not a shock. Walder had a bad relationship with the unions. Hawk is of course entilted to his own take.

The man made poor decisions, fattened the pockets of managers between $2,000 to over $20,000 per year in salary increases while screwing the public and union employees, took no responsability and held none accountable for the 2010 blizzard failure, and lastly gave a green light to put in count down clocks, that were years late and millions over budget, and demanded a six year lucrative contract but is running out before term is up.

One sided? yeah to Walder's benefit only!

The man made poor decisions, fattened the pockets of managers between $2,000 to over $20,000 per year in salary increases while screwing the public and union employees, took no responsability and held none accountable for the 2010 blizzard failure, and lastly gave a green light to put in count down clocks, that were years late and millions over budget, and demanded a six year lucrative contract but is running out before term is up.

One sided? yeah to Walder's benefit only!

Being fair, I am no fan of Walder either. The only reason I gave him a C-Minus grade was the fact the politicans in Albany gave him a shoestring budget and the doomsday cuts could been much worse i.e more workers being laid off & more cuts. I am fully aware of the botched job he did during the X-mas weekend 2010 blizzard and the other issues you brought up Hawk.

I do agree that Walder should have gotten *zero severence* pay for leaving before his term was up.

So being fair Hawk from a (MTA) employee point of you, why you not also be mad at Former Govs. Paterson as well as the both houses of the state legislate in Albany from both parties that cut the (MTA) funding in droves? I never said Walder did a great job but just have to agree to disagree. Not to mention Gov. Cuomo could pick a new Chairman that does a job even worse. That my point hawk.

, why you not also be mad at Former Govs. Paterson as well as the both houses of the state legislate in Albany from both parties that cut the (MTA) funding in droves? Not to mention Gov. Cuomo could pick a new Chairman that does a job even worse. That my point hawk.

I am unable to respond to this about NYS politics, the forum rules do not allow me to use profane accurate adjectives, which is the only way to describe the bollacks and FUBAR incompetances of NYS goverment.

But thanks to clarify your point.;)

Archived