Bus Peeves

7LineFan

If you ask me, the biggest annoyance are the loud, noisy public high school kids. I get plenty of them from Roosevelt on the bus when I'm riding home on the Bx17.

I'm a high school kid myself, and I agree. The ones in the Q58 from specialized high schools are extremely quiet, but get kids from regular public schools and that bus becomes an extremely loud cursefest. Not everyone does it, but it happens quite often on the Q44s and Q20s that I take on weekdays, if I take them, with the kids from Flushing HS and John Bowne HS.

• 2 weeks later...

I catch the BX7 in Riverdale; I never quite understand why it's jam-packed while the BX10 is almost empty. After all, the crowd on the 7 usually disperses at the stop before the Kingsbridge St. turn on 231, and the 10 would carry them through past B'way (well, then again, I guess the 7's more direct in that it doesn't do the circuitous route around Spuytin Duyvil).

But here's my gripe, FWIW. I do agree with the poster who mentioned this phobia people have about moving to the rear on a crowded bus. But the BX7 has this weird thing that I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed; are the drivers AWARE that not only is there NO MORE ROOM but that people are standing in the stairwell??? That's GOTTA be a violation of sorts, and if THAT weren't enough, while folks are loading up in the front, impatient people just start cramming on through the REAR EXIT. I'm thinking great, why the heck do I even bother buying a MetroCard, FREE RIDES!!! It's unbelievable.

Like I said, I was moved to complain via online message to the MTA, I received a typical "we're looking into it" email reply. Obviously, nothing's been done about it.

In fact, I have to say that this stowaway stuff is something I'd never experienced until I started taking the 7; YES, I KNOW... people do this to avoid the long lines but go up and pay their fare later.... yyyyyyeh, right...

Anyway, other peeves (minor in comparison)

1. Why do people freak out when the fare machine is on the fritz? Look, folks, it's a free ride, don't lose your composure, just keep the line moving.

2. The people who bum for change because all they have is a 10.

3. Drivers who won't open the back door even though people are yelling "BACK DOOR!!!!" at a stop.

4. The interminable shift changes, esp. when the next guy is late for work.

1. Why do people freak out when the fare machine is on the fritz? Look, folks, it's a free ride, don't lose your composure, just keep the line moving.
Because they want a free transfer along with thier free ride usually.
2. The people who bum for change because all they have is a 10.
Well then, you're my pet peeve too! :mad:

j/k :(

3. Drivers who won't open the back door even though people are yelling "BACK DOOR!!!!" at a stop.
I like when they do that, makes them want to leave the bus faster and stop holding up everybody. I hate the people who stand at the backdoor pushing it (even if it is a mistake) causing the emergency brake to engage.
4. The interminable shift changes, esp. when the next guy is late for work.
This is why I hate the Q44. :mad:

Too add on, I don't like it when someone yells "BACK DOOR" when the bus JUST pulled in. Let the driver have a chance to open the door!

Another one is when there is someone in the back who walks all the way to the front to get off, instead of getting off through the back door.

Another one is when there is someone in the back who walks all the way to the front to get off, instead of getting off through the back door.

That, and if someone is like 5-6 feet away and you have an open seat directly in front of you, and they push you out of the way to sit down.

Archived