Line Chaining between Brooklyn Bridge and Fulton St

GreeneggsnPelham

Hey All,

I have a question that hopefully someone can answer.

I've completed the full NYCTA Chaining list, and I was going over some numbers yesterday, and one of the areas that popped out at me was between Brooklyn Bridge and Fulton St on the (4)(5)(6).

The original IRT East Side line from BB to 33 St is chained "MM" starting at Brooklyn Bridge for its zero. Contract 2 into Brooklyn on the east side is chained "M" from BB to Borough Hall going south. I assumed it also had BB as its zero, but that isn't the case.

On the "Abandoned Stations" website, Joe Brennan's diagram lists BB as "MM 0" which is correct, but then lists Fulton St as "M 1". This would mean Fulton St is 100 feet from the chaining zero. But, how can that be? According to the following picture of the BB Interlocking tower, the spare sidings south of BB actually extend some 1,100 feet. If Fulton St is 100 feet more south, then shouldn't it be "M 12" instead of "M 1"?

Here is the link to Joe Brennan's diagram:

BB-Fulton St Diagram

And the BB Interlocking Picture:

BB Interlocking Tower

I've never ridden the (4)(5) past Brooklyn Bridge, so I wouldn't know. All I know is that those stations are at least 1,000 feet apart--so maybe the chaining is somehow messed up?

Any help would be appreciated!

-A :cool:

Archived