Eliminating two stations on 7 ave Brooklyn branch thoughts

TriboroughBridge

lets not forget that when the IRT was built, it was designed so no private land was used. Hence its size compared to the B Div. most of those buildings have foundations and basements thats practically behand the wall so to speak. Even as deep as the west side IRT is under city hall park, it would be a construction nightmare! Great points were brought up already. People like stations close to them and all of those see crowds. In Philly, No one walks like we do. The Market-Frankford El under Center city has stops every 2 to 3 short blocks from 2nd St to City Hall at 15th St. now their crowds are waaaay less than ours so imagine if the stops in Lower Manhattan were farther apart?

It's probably better to combine Beverley Rd and Cortelyou Rd to Beverley/Cortelyou - Ditmas Park.

Park Pl & Fulton serve 2 entirely different areas of Downtown. This would only make access to the western and eastern most parts of 'upper' Downtown more difficicult than it already is.

It's probably better to combine Beverley Rd and Cortelyou Rd to Beverley/Cortelyou - Ditmas Park.

Park Pl & Fulton serve 2 entirely different areas of Downtown. This would only make access to the western and eastern most parts of 'upper' Downtown more difficicult than it already is.

Merging any station is also a poor idea. Why would you do that when you can walk from one station to the other?

Listen people, our subway builders built the subway like this for a reason and I like it the way it is okay? If you don't like it then buy a car and clog the street, but don't complain because it is called mass transit for a reason.

I should have been clearer. By creating Beverley/Cortelyou - Ditmas Park, you maintain both entrances (Beverley Rd & Cortelyou Rd) so overall it's an improvement.

If we were to keep things static, or as was 'originally intended', then Worth St. 18 St (6) and 91 st should still be open and the (7) & (G) should not be an in system transfer (to name a few of countless examples).

I should have been clearer. By creating Beverley/Cortelyou - Ditmas Park, you maintain both entrances (Beverley Rd & Cortelyou Rd) so overall it's an improvement.

In this case, yes, since it would be combining two stations into one without closing any entrances.

The combined station would have the entrance to the existing Cortelyou Road station at the very back with the entrance to the existing Beverly Road station at the front, with both entrances remaining where they currently are in the new combined station.

If we were to keep things static, or as was 'originally intended', then Worth St. 18 St (6) and 91 st should still be open and the (7) & (G) should not be an in system transfer (to name a few of countless examples).

I agree with that idea of combining both stations into 1. Right now both stations have narrow platforms the further away from the stairs they are. Ideally the new station would have much wider platforms have being in 'dead center' would allow riders to use the current entrances and walk towards the center of the new one.

=

On a different note, if the 7th Av 18th st station had been shut down before the platforms were extended, would 14th St have been extended further north?

=

And yes Park Place is very close to Chambers. I always thought that if there was an underground tunnel that connected both the 8th av and 7th av Chambers St stations together, then there would be no point of having the (2)(3) stop at Park Place and let those trains skip that stop.

I think a reason Park Pl is there is probably for Path riders that don't want to walk too far for those lines.

Archived