I Rode a XCELSIOR

MarkD329

Friday, I had the fortune to get a ride on NFI's newest bus model the XCELSIOR. I rode two of them in Queens [NYC]. The first one was a packed bus on the Q2 to Belmont Park. The bus ran smooth and took the somewhat bumpy streets of NYC quite well. The bus also held crowds quite well for a low-floor bus. I rode this bus to Springfield Blvd and Hempstead Ave., just a few short blocks from the Q2's terminal at the entrance of Belmot park Racetrack.

The second bus I rode on [pictured below] was on the long Q27 run from Springfield and Hempstead to Main and Roosevelt in Downtown Flushing [and the end of the & subway line]. Since the bus was not a hybrid, but a straight diesel, I was amazed at how quiet the engine was, and the smoothe ride was more pronounced on the somewhar smoother streets in the less-trafficked sections of Flushing. Bus 4829 is quite a looker in NYC MTA blue and white. I wonder how it would look in SEPTA's scheme [unwrapped, of course.]

016ex.jpg

In addition, a couple of weeks ago, I rode the new CNGs and both sets of New Flyers look like they can take the beatings NYC can do to a bus [just ask the artics and the original CNG Flyers in Brooklyn!]

These Xcelsiors get my respect! I rode THREE of these buses:

#4824 - Q1 (Bellerose)

#4829 - Q46 (Kew Gardens - afternoon)

#4813 - Q46 (L.I.J. - evening)

UGH! The take-off did it for me. By far, this was a great investment for the MTA.

Yeah, I saw 4816 taking off from Main & Roosevelt....that bus just flew like a rocket!!!

I think the set-up on these buses is much better than the set up on the LFS's. The seating arrangements are a bit better, the placement of the LED light strips is better, and the "stop request" buttons are even cooler! The engine is only a bit louder than the LFS's engine, so it is still objectively very quiet.

I still think that all of these new buses do not have enough seats, and are already often crush loaded, so I still honestly prefer riding in the RTS's, but I'm sure those will be gone from QV soon enough. Also, the fact that these buses all havwe that stupid stepu up in the back is terrible, since no one likes to stand back there. The c40's have level floors and look much better, honestly. I think those buses get the highest marks in my book.

Archived