Warming filters

error46146

I was thinking of buying an 81B warming filter for my camera but then I read that they can limit the amount of light entering the camera and thus forcing me to use a slower shutter or higher ISO.

Is the warming filter worth it? (20 for a piece of glass is quite expensive) Are there any alternatives to it to get the same effect?

All filters reduce the amount of light entering the lens in some way. This is known as the filter factor. There's a nice chart there that tells you how to translate between filter factor and "number of stops reduced".

To be honest, I would skip the filter. With Photoshop (or any other image editing program worth its salt), you can add the effect in post. With a digital body, the only filter you really need is a polarizer...that effect can't be done in post.

Buy a polarizer! Absolutely 100% worth it, and the light difference is almost negligible. You have the ability to create or eliminate reflections (Photoshop can't do that), you can make glass appear as a rainbow (Photoshop can't do that) and contrast and colors are naturally boosted (if you do that in Photoshop you get grain). I've got a polarizer on all of my lenses, Hoya is the way to go and you can get one for about $20 usually.

Warming filters -- you can easily do that in Photoshop. But polarizers give you stuff you can't do in Ps and protect your lens as well. Worthwhile investment.

the thing to watch out for with polarizers is they arent compatible with every lens. Many kit lenses the front element rotates while focusing and that will throw off the polarizer.

A rotating front element isn't the end of the world, you've just got to be alert of the rotation.

Inexpensive polarizers tend to have high filter factor (overall) and are uncoated. The $20 polarizers (and filters in general) tend to be of dubious quality. Save up some money and spring for a single or multi-coated filter. Multi-coated Hoyas are excellent; i've got several. If your lens takes 67mm filters, let me know, I think I have one around that I can part with for a reasonable price.

Archived