move to windows 7?

Joe

I have a Dell laptop (Latitude D630) with a Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz / 2GB RAM running XP Pro. Now that Windows 7 has been out for a while, i'm thinking about making the move. I've used 7 a little bit, it seems to be a lot like Vista, and I hated the hackjob-like nature of Vista.

Also have a desktop with a Phenom X6 1075T (3Ghz six core) with 8GB of RAM...that box is running XP x64 edition. I always kind of hated xp64 because of it being based on server2k3 some apps (like Multisim, which I use a lot) won't work on it...claiming to be unsupported. Some apps also refuse to run because they think it's a server OS (well, it is, but it's also not.) I'm sure it can handle win7 hardware-wise, but is the upgrade worth it?

Thanks for the pointers.

I'm not too worried about XP having its support discontinued...i've still got a box running 2000 Pro (though it's just a glorified PDF viewer.)

The most attractive thing for me would just be the OS taking advantage of the latest cpus and chipsets. I'm sure XP doesn't utilize them to their greatest potential.

Archived