Should SCT Buses get 40ft Buses Instead of 35ft/30ft Buses

BM5 via Woodhaven

Most of SCT buses run with 30/35 foot buses. However I think that they should start thinking on 40 footers to lessen down the packed buses during hours (mainly S1,S62,and S92). What are your aspects on this matter?

They have 40 footers, they just need to allocate smartly. And improve frequency, it's totally inadequate in some places.

Waiting on ridership data...

They have 40 footers, they just need to allocate smartly. And improve frequency, it's totally inadequate in some places.

Waiting on ridership data...

To me it looks awkward to have 30/35fters in the system. There is also unessecery amount of packed buses. If they order and make the whole fleet 40 footers than probably the crowding will go away a bit.

There are some places in the system where a 40ft bus may be to large to turn. I know where a few of them are, and at least one is on the S62's route.

The 40ft buses were mainly depoyed on the S1, S33 and S92. But since the Contractor change the 40ft buses have been used on the S1, S54, S63 (One Bus, don't ask why that is a question that baffles me), and S92

There are some places in the system where a 40ft bus may be to large to turn. I know where a few of them are, and at least one is on the S62's route.

The 40ft buses were mainly depoyed on the S1, S33 and S92. But since the Contractor change the 40ft buses have been used on the S1, S54, S63 (One Bus, don't ask why that is a question that baffles me), and S92

With gas prices those 30 footers will get CRUSHED!!!!!!

With gas prices those 30 footers will get CRUSHED!!!!!!

Most of the 30ft buses are assigned to routes that don't get many riders, so how would they get crushed even if gas prices go up?. Besides if a 30ft bus breaks down at Suffolk Bus Corp (which happens semi-frequently with 1070-1071) it gets replaced by a 35ft bus.

To me it looks awkward to have 30/35fters in the system. There is also unessecery amount of packed buses. If they order and make the whole fleet 40 footers than probably the crowding will go away a bit.

I was on a ST 35ft Orion VII where a few people were standing in the back, and I know that if a 35 Gillig Phantom had been assigned there would have been very few people standing. The Orion VII's or at least the 35ft Orion VII's don't have as much space as a 35ft Gillig Phantom and there for would probably have more people standing. Its unfair to say that 35ft buses aren't good to have when the different makes are completely different.

Though like I said not every place can handle a 40ft bus, I've been on buses that had to use the turning lane to make a turn and one time a car that was in the turning lane had to back up so the bus could complete the turn. I've also been on buses where the driver cut the corner just so they could make the turn without having to use up as much space turning.

That's a surprise—I normally associate tight turns with urban areas, not suburban/exurban systems like SCT. Unless these tight turns are into/out of/within shopping centers and other mid route diversions...

That's a surprise—I normally associate tight turns with urban areas, not suburban/exurban systems like SCT. Unless these tight turns are into/out of/within shopping centers and other mid route diversions...

Nope they are roadways. The road that the bus was turning onto in the above mention situation, was roughly 100 years old (My Great Grandfather was part of the group that laid the original road work) and hadn't seen any work other the repaving until this year. (The road will be widened, though I'm not sure how much of a difference there will be for a bus turning onto it.)

Archived