MTA BusTime on Staten Island, 2 Months Later

SIR North Shore

There's really no need to argue about how long Bustime has been active in Staten Island. The important is, most routes have increased in ridership ever since it's debut. Some routes more than others. An example would be Via's connections with the S54 and X12 since he used those buses a lot.

Hell he won't even concede to ridership increasing on Staten Island since Bus Time's debut, and clearly it has. Even the (MTA) has admitted that ridership is growing on Staten Island. :( He likes to nit pick EVERYTHING and everything has to be spelled out to him. Really annoying. Dude I'm riding the friggin' buses on Staten Island 7 days a week (local and express) at various times during the day and night and he swears up and down that ridership hasn't really increased.

Last Saturday morning I was up dirt early to get some deliveries at my apt. in Riverdale and I was going to get the 07:00 S53 over to the X10. I left out late so I called car service and we caught up to the S53 I would've taken. Holy cow... That bus was packed!!! I was shocked that an S53 would be that crowded that early on a Saturday but sure enough it was. Of course the X10 was packed as well.

I see where you're getting at. I assume you use the S48 often?

Yeah well I'm sorry but I live right by Forest Ave unlike him, so I see the S48s at all times of the day and night and it's not just a small increase. The increase has been much more than that. Unlike him, I don't need the (MTA) to tell me that ridership is growing on Staten Island. It's very evident just looking with one's own two eyes. :(

Yeah, I've been on a packed S53 on a Saturday too so I definetly see what you're saying.

I think what's going on between between you and checkmate is that you two are seeing different results. I think he's saying that the busier routes don't change much while you're saying that even routes that normally aren't busy are starting to get more riders.

The only thing I can say is, to a degree, both of you are in a way correct.

Yeah, I've been on a packed S53 on a Saturday too so I definetly see what you're saying.

I think what's going on between between you and checkmate is that you two are seeing different results. I think he's saying that the busier routes don't change much while you're saying that even routes that normally aren't busy are starting to get more riders.

The only thing I can say is, to a degree, both of you are in a way correct.

Yeah, well I'm saying that ridership is UP on all routes, including the busier ones. The S53 needs more service. That 10 minutes nonsense is not cutting it. Even when the buses bunch they are still fuller than usual. Today for example, I call myself letting one S53 go by to catch a less crowded one and to my surprise it was still rather full... Fuller than usual. Were seats available? Yes, but it was more crowded than last year around St. Patrick's day and that's the point I'm making. Buses (regardless) of the route (local or express) are seeing more usage than before.

Yeah, well I'm saying that ridership is UP on all routes, including the busier ones. The S53 needs more service. That 10 minutes nonsense is not cutting it. Even when the buses bunch they are still fuller than usual. Today for example, I call myself letting one S53 go by to catch a less crowded one and to my surprise it was still rather full... Fuller than usual. Were seats available? Yes, but it was more crowded than last year around St. Patrick's day and that's the point I'm making. Buses (regardless) of the route (local or express) are seeing more usage than before.

I was on the S53 today too and mine happened to be late and I thought about letting it go, but it was a Nova so I just got on it and yes you are right, the S53 could use a little more service. According to the (MTA) plan from one of the commitee meetings, it's supposed to be a little more frequent starting this April.

I was on the S53 today too and mine happened to be late and I thought about letting it go, but it was a Nova so I just got on it and yes you are right, the S53 could use a little more service. According to the (MTA) plan from one of the commitee meetings, it's supposed to be a little more frequent starting this April.

Yeah, they've been using the newest buses on the S53 and thank God for that because if they were still using those 3Gs it would be a lot worse. The newer buses allow for more standing room which makes it a bit more tolerable. You see that's the thing though. Before folks would just cram on one bus, but now with Bus Time they can see where the buses are so everyone is doing the same thing and that's also a good thing because to be honest if they didn't some S53s would seriously be crushloaded, so at least it is helping even out the crowding to a degree even though they're still crowded.

Yeah, they've been using the newest buses on the S53 and thank God for that because if they were still using those 3Gs it would be a lot worse. The newer buses allow for more standing room which makes it a bit more tolerable. You see that's the thing though. Before folks would just cram on one bus, but now with Bus Time they can see where the buses are so everyone is doing the same thing and that's also a good thing because to be honest if they didn't some S53s would seriously be crushloaded, so at least it is helping even out the crowding to a degree even though they're still crowded.

Hmm, it's weird you say that about the 3G's because most people I know have made positive feedback about them. Many of them said that since people don't move to the back of the bus, they just stay in middle and fill up the seats in the back quickly. I also, noticed on the S53 today, the fleets were basically all the new stuff, so I guess certain types of buses allow for more room.

Hmm, it's weird you say that about the 3G's because most people I know have made positive feedback about them. Many of them said that since people don't move to the back of the bus, they just stay in middle and fill up the seats in the back quickly. I also, noticed on the S53 today, the fleets were basically all the new stuff, so I guess certain types of buses allow for more room.

Yeah well they don't have many of those 3Gs anyway so they don't have much of a choice. I'm glad either way... I prefer the newer buses. I actually like the 3Gs. I just HATE the narrow aisles with a passion.

Archived