Hi there, moving to New York soon

diddiyo

Hello :)

I'm a 24yo guy, been living in South Florida for about two years now. Before I moved here I used to live in one of Europe's biggest cities. Therefore I'm used to public transportation a lot and I miss it :P

The reason why I registered on this board is this:

In a few weeks I will be transferred to our office in NYC, just north of JFK between Baisley Blvd and the Belt Parkway. Now I'm looking into what area I should move to that has reasonable public transportation (during regular business hours) so I wouldn't have to use a car in order to get to work. First I was looking into Williamsburg/Greenpoint ((J)/(M)/(Z)) to Jamaica Station, then Q6 to Rockaway Blvd) and Brooklyn ((A) to Rockaway Blvd, then Q7) but I was told that commute would be a pain in the @ss. I was told to look into Forest Hills or Long Beach, and that it would probably be easier for me to go to work by car anyway.

I'm only 24 and single, so I would prefer a lively area. What do you guys think? Your help is greatly appreciated :)

Best regards

Welcome to NYC Transit Forums! I would say Brooklyn all day! But it depends on what type of setting you want.

Well, being where I come from and all, I'd like to say the Bronx all day....but I'm afraid a lot of the neighborhoods around here would be quite unappealing to a lot of non-New Yorkers.

Thanks for your replys! :)

Naaah, I'm not moving to Manhattan. To expensive :P But I'd like to live with roommates anyway.

But like I said, people were telling me that Brooklyn/Greenpoint etc would generally be too far away and that I would hate that commute to the JFK area.

The Bronx would be even further away. lol. I was also considering Astoria, but people were telling me the same thing: Too far away.

I really don't know. I wouldn't mind a commute that takes around 45-60 mins or so if I could find a place in a nice area area.

Have a good day :)

your best bet might be Midwood, Flatbush or Canarsie. those are the good nirighborhoods that are served by the B6, which take you to East New York (also a good place to move in, no the best in safety) and B15 to JFK. Then you can transfer to Q3 or Q6, Q7, or Q10 on the B15 route. Crown Heights and Jamaica would be great but the safety is not good. i prefer, canarsie or flatbush (midwood)

Thanks for your replys! :)

Naaah, I'm not moving to Manhattan. To expensive ;) But I'd like to live with roommates anyway.

But like I said, people were telling me that Brooklyn/Greenpoint etc would generally be too far away and that I would hate that commute to the JFK area.

The Bronx would be even further away. lol. I was also considering Astoria, but people were telling me the same thing: Too far away.

I really don't know. I wouldn't mind a commute that takes around 45-60 mins or so if I could find a place in a nice area area.

Have a good day :)

PM me your budget & i'll PM you back with some rental options in manhattan.

- Andy

Archived