Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
MTARegional Bus

IRT Lo-V question

I was wondering about this for a long time, Why do LO-V Cars have the doors all the way at the each end instead of almost to end like the Worlds fair Lo-V's, were originally going to be trailers being hauled by small locomotive? or wait.?

img_45190.jpg

It seem like weird please to but doors don't you think? the motorman must have been more cramped since the passengers had to go in and out of were the motorman was driving or they just don't open that door were the motorman is driving I guess, right?

Edited by MTARegional Bus

I think it was due to the use of the city hall curve. It was better to have the doors on the end than more towards the center.

that is correct, with the doors on the ends the gaps between the cars and platforms is smaller. thats why when the SMEE cars were put in service, gap fillers had to be added at stations with sharp curves like Times Square on the Shuttle, 14th street on the 4,5, and 6, and the old south ferry for the 1.

joe

• Upvote 1

I think also it is because the original subway cars were derived from steam RR car designs with end vestibules. They soon discovered this slowed loading and unloading, so added the center doors and later began moving the end doors futher in toward the middle.

• Upvote 1