The end soon for ABC-TV "Nightline?" Jimmy Kimmel moves to 1135pm slot

Shortline Bus

TV-Kimmel-NewTime160141--300x300.jpg

"Jimmy Kimmel Live" is moving into the thick of the late-night fight against Jay Leno and David Letterman, ABC said Tuesday, bumping "Nightline" from its longtime perch.

Starting in January, Kimmel's talk show will shift from 12:05 a.m. Eastern to the 11:35 p.m. Eastern time period long held by the newsmagazine, taking advantage of Kimmel's ratings growth and the potential for greater ad revenue, the network said.

"Nightline" will move to 12:35 a.m. Eastern. ABC softened the blow for its news division by giving the half-hour show a weekly prime-time hour starting in March, and also will find a home for the ABC News series "What Would You Do?"

The network is rolling the dice, taking ratings winner "Nightline" out of a competitive time slot and putting in yet another talk show. Besides network rivals Leno and Letterman, the hour is home to Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert on Comedy Central, Conan O'Brien on TBS and Chelsea Handler on E! Entertainment.

Kimmel said he is ready for the challenge.

"The most exciting thing is having a bigger audience," he said. "You work all day on the show and you want as many people to see you as possible."

Letterman graciously welcomed him to the fray.

"The more the merrier. We like Jimmy, we know he'll do a fine program, and we wish him well," he said in a statement.

Kimmel, newly engaged to Molly McNearney, his show's co-head writer, and set to host next month's Emmy Awards, is having a run of good fortune. But the droll comedian wouldn't admit to savoring it.

"My way of thinking is when all these good things happen, it means something terrible will happen," he said. "I'm cautiously pessimistic."

"Jimmy Kimmel Live" and "Nightline" will switch late-night slots on Jan. 9, and the news magazine will debut in prime time on March 1.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/kimmel_moving_into_thick_of_late_a4k3PsUl6smU5CfyOPJl8K#ixzz24Dx7PJxx

Sorry I am not. I quicker watch Leno and Letterman than Kimmel. However I am not a fan of any of the late night shows on right now and usually if i am up that hour on weeknight i either watching sports, playing music or on this site lol. Bring back Carson(if you guys heard of him lol)and even Aresnio Hall. :D

While "Nightline" is a histroic show since it debut in 1980 at height of Iran hostage crisis/1980 elections, it was created before this era of 3 cable news channels. Nightline when Ted Koppel was host was must watch tv for news headlines and major interviews of newsmakers of the day. Now in era of 200-plus channels its a dinosaur on free tv.

It was bound to happen. Within a year "Nightline" IMO might be replaced with another talk show following Jimmy Fallon and Craig Feguerson.

Sorry I am not. I quicker watch Leno and Letterman than Kimmel. However I am not a fan of any of the late night shows on right now and usually if i am up that hour on weeknight i either watching sports, playing music or on this site lol. Bring back Carson(if you guys heard of him lol)and even Aresnio Hall. :D

Yeah I remember Arsenio Hall. That was a good talk show. He had this obsession with wiping his ears with q-tips dipped in alcohol, that was one quirk about him I remember. I started doing that because of him lol.

Ummm... Who's Johnny Carson?

Yeah I remember Arsenio Hall. That was a good talk show. He had this obsession with wiping his ears with q-tips dipped in alcohol, that was one quirk about him I remember. I started doing that because of him lol.

Ummm... Who's Johnny Carson?

Here Johnny. The Host Leno replaced in 1992. Getting old when i get question who is Johnny Carson lol. And alot funnier than any of the late night hosts on the air. As so called "King of Late Night" all of the current hosts from Leno to Letterman, Fallon, O' Brien, and 20 years ago Hall were all the idol of Carson. Realizm you missed out lol.

Hi Bio. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Carson

Speaking on Nightline might as cancel it in the late evening spot(who going to watch it at 1230am after Kimmel)and just make it a weekly show but return it to it's roots. That is examing the important political/social issues of the day. No need for another tv newsmagazine show.

I maybe the odd guy here, but I actually like Nightline because it isn't another talk show like Letterman or Leno. Even with all the cable channels I have, I could usually count on NL for some 'fluff' stories before turning the tv off at the end of the day. I don't see it being necessary to bump up Kimmel unless one of the big 2 steps down and a new guy comes in. I would prefer to keep NL right where it is. I mean it's only 25min now with how they have bumped up Kimmel to 12am.

I maybe the odd guy here, but I actually like Nightline because it isn't another talk show like Letterman or Leno. Even with all the cable channels I have, I could usually count on NL for some 'fluff' stories before turning the tv off at the end of the day. I don't see it being necessary to bump up Kimmel unless one of the big 2 steps down and a new guy comes in. I would prefer to keep NL right where it is. I mean it's only 25min now with how they have bumped up Kimmel to 12am.

As someone who remembers the "old" nightline when ted koppel was the host, I am not into the 'fluff' that NL now has. It basically a daily version of 20/20. The fluff/hard news/celebrity interviews combo belongs on news magazine shows such as "60 Minutes" and "20/20."

Only show that is close to the old NL of the Koppel era on free tv is PBS's "Newshour." Which is extended time on focusing on the 1-2 most important "hard news" headlines/interviews affecting America and the world for the day.

Unless that comes back, you might as well just make "NL" a weekly prime time show and put Kimmel at 1135pm. And I am no Kimmel fan either.

Funny you say that cause Arsenio Hall is coming back to late night TV next year. It's gonna be REALLY interesting come the end of 2013

Funny you say that cause Arsenio Hall is coming back to late night TV next year. It's gonna be REALLY interesting come the end of 2013

I think Arsenio winning the recent edition of Donald Trumps "The Apprentice" helped him with a new younger generation of viewers who dont remember or too young to watch his early 1990's talk show. One option for Arsenio could be the post Conan spot on TBS or more likely he sydnicated again just like he was back in the day. We shall see.

Archived