On the heels of the fare hikes, MTA technology, BusTrek Rolls Out

CPBO

Where I live doesn't matter, especially when so many people on here like MTA BusTime and hate Clever Devices when the transit system where they live doesn't use them. Yes the average rider doesn't give a shit about technical crap like us "foamers" do, but if they went from using MTA BusTime to Clever Devices BusTime I'm sure they'd like the CD system better, and based on what happened with the M34/A they definitely like CD BusTime and all that comes with it better. I'm sure they get plenty angry too when a bus doesn't show up on MTA BusTime.

The real question is will the MTA really ever ditch their "own" system for Clever Devices? No one here knows, so I'm just gonna sit back and watch shit go down... Case closed.

Also, if I remember correctly, most people were upset about the switch to BusTime on the M34 because the countdown clocks were rendered inoperable, not because one system had better results than the other. I'm surprised that the MTA hasn't found a way to jury-rig the old countdown clocks.

Also, if I remember correctly, most people were upset about the switch to BusTime on the M34 because the countdown clocks were rendered inoperable, not because one system had better results than the other. I'm surprised that the MTA hasn't found a way to jury-rig the old countdown clocks.

Part of the blame is on the vendor. The countdown clocks kept screwing up every now and then and they had the tendency to become extremely inaccurate and at times, they would be inoperable. They couldn't meet up with the MTA's demands to get them fixed, hence why we have a more cheaper and efficient system. (/inb4itsnotefficient)

Except you fail to realize that every other transit system that has a system equivalent to that does not have the FLEET SIZE like ours....THATS where it matters...you also fail to realize that not everyone wants automated announcements and all that stuff...jesus, it's like you're married to a Clever Device.

To add onto this, we also had Clever Devices on the M15 years back, but was removed because last I heard, that was also screwing up a ton as well.

1. That is not a Clever Devices system, that is a Siemens system that was a royal piece of crap.

2. "Not everyone wants auto announcements" that is true, but it would be a great benefit to tourists and disabled riders with crystal clear announcements and the next stop showing up on a screen in the front of a bus. I also didn't say to put them on every bus like NJT is doing, even putting them on MCIs. They should be on local buses only period. And the people can't say they're annoying when the B/O can make manual announcements just as often and loud that are not crystal clear, and can distract the B/Os. If you ride a local bus in a city like NY you can expect announcements to go off, and they already do with the manual announcements, random auto announcements and "please exit through the rear door". Also remember that every other major transit agency in the country has auto announcements on board.

1. That is not a Clever Devices system, that is a Siemens system that was a royal piece of crap.

2. "Not everyone wants auto announcements" that is true, but it would be a great benefit to tourists and disabled riders with crystal clear announcements and the next stop showing up on a screen in the front of a bus. I also didn't say to put them on every bus like NJT is doing, even putting them on MCIs. They should be on local buses only period. And the people can't say they're annoying when the B/O can make manual announcements just as often and loud that are not crystal clear, and can distract the B/Os. If you ride a local bus in a city like NY you can expect announcements to go off, and they already do with the manual announcements, random auto announcements and "please exit through the rear door". Also remember that every other major transit agency in the country has auto announcements on board.

- I stand corrected, you're right.

- Our local bus fleet alone is still pretty high and that in itself racks up a huge portion of our fleet. It's still going to be costly in the end.

- That's not even close to being true. While most major agencies have auto announcements on-board, not EVERY major agency has them.

If it's anything like NICE's system, I would not want anything like that here.

NICE's system, when it's turned on, is often inaccurate by as many as 10 or 15 blocks (I've ridden the N22 and almost missed my stop due to inaccurate stop announcements). Technology this buggy should not be used to guide tourists.

True, not each and every TA has auto announcements, but most do like you said @CS. And I think it'd be perfectly fine to keep it all in Manhattan and by the airports, at least before expanding them elsewhere.

If it's anything like NICE's system, I would not want anything like that here.

NICE's system, when it's turned on, is often inaccurate by as many as 10 or 15 blocks (I've ridden the N22 and almost missed my stop due to inaccurate stop announcements). Technology this buggy should not be used to guide tourists.

NICE's system on every bus but the 3Gs is an older system that calculates the distance between stops using a pedometer and not precise GPS location. That's especially a problem if the bus gets detoured or something like that. Plus the B/O doesn't have to turn it on out there. The 3Gs' system (as well as all newer Clever Devices systems) is GPS based and that's why it doesn't call out the stops yet (CD/NICE has to program the new system), and that system might end up on the other buses if and when NICE orders Clever Devices BusTime.

Archived