Metro North Spring/Summer Schedule changes 2013

Shortline Bus

Here the early info on the upcoming Spring/Summer schedule changes starting April 7 mainly for the Hudson and Harlem Lines.

On Hudson Line which includes these highlighted changes. First, Poughkeepsie/Upper Hudson trains will now run express almost the entire day/evening between Croton-Harmon/Tarrytown and Grand Central Terminal skipping all Lower Westchester/Bronx stations. In addition the last Northbound "express" train from GCT-Poughkeepsie now leaves little bit later at 1247am daily instead of currently just after Midnight. Plus a new later 1156pm weekday 'shuttle" train between Poughkeepsie and Croton Harmon connecting with the 1am Southbound local to GCT.

Plus for the 1st time ever, 7 days a week, many of the Hudson Line(Croton Harmon trains)local stations will have at least trains every 30 minutes or less most of the day.

Also on the Harlem line, 30 minute or less headways almost the entire day between North White Plains and GCT.

http://mta.info/mta/news/releases/?en=130311-MNR1

Don't be surprised if eventually they add another later train down the road.  I spoke out for one more later train to leave Grand Central at 02:50 which would still allow for maintenance and cleaning of the stations.  The question is how crowded are the 01:50 trains that leave Grand Central?  I would imagine that they are well used during sporting events or evenings out.  I would like that option when hanging out in the city late this way I wouldn't have to deal with trying to get a yellow taxi back to Riverdale which can be a pain with them either being occupied or off duty.

When you take into account that the last Harlem and Hudson Line trains make each and every stop on the line, the trains are not very crowded.  Sporting events and concerts are over way before them (in most cases).  Granted, the ridership is heavier on Fri and Sat nights due to people going clubbing.

Having a Poughkeepsie bound train around the 1am hour is a plus.  If you miss the 12:08, the 1:00 local with connecting service is a long ride.

Don't be surprised if eventually they add another later train down the road.  I spoke out for one more later train to leave Grand Central at 02:50 which would still allow for maintenance and cleaning of the stations.  The question is how crowded are the 01:50 trains that leave Grand Central?  I would imagine that they are well used during sporting events or evenings out.  I would like that option when hanging out in the city late this way I wouldn't have to deal with trying to get a yellow taxi back to Riverdale which can be a pain with them either being occupied or off duty.

Preaching to the choir on that one my friend. :D MNRR should have *limited overnight service* just like the LIRR with at least a 3amish Northbound service on all 3 lines. Even if ran just on at least Friday and Saturday Night and charge peak fares(only from GCT of course) for that added service.

As far as the 150am trains honestly I never been or used the Harlem or New Haven lines before on those final late night trips. I am sure Truckie can better explain. I am sure the New Haven is busiest since about 3-4 years back, they added both an express (new haven) and local (Stamford)on that final trip of the night.

Regarding the Hudson 150am it's a Local that connects with the shuttle at Croton to Poughkeepsie. Honestly the 1am Nothbound is often SRO (especially during sport games, concerts & other events) in the Manhattan area than the 150am. That why the (MTA) created the 1247am "express" for upper Hudson/Poughkeepsie riders from GCT to help out with crowding on the 1am Croton-bound train.

So 90%-plus of the time, the 150am is never fully crowded. Sometimes only 2 cars are used on a 5-6 car M7 train on that trip.

Hope it explains it.

When you take into account that the last Harlem and Hudson Line trains make each and every stop on the line, the trains are not very crowded.  Sporting events and concerts are over way before them (in most cases).  Granted, the ridership is heavier on Fri and Sat nights due to people going clubbing.

Having a Poughkeepsie bound train around the 1am hour is a plus.  If you miss the 12:08, the 1:00 local with connecting service is a long ride.

Truckie that changing. There now a 1248am train direct to Poughkeepsie starting April 7.

That could be because that's the last train though... A lot of people may take the one before that to have a safety net if you will... I think that could change however if they added one more train though.  I generally prefer the express bus because it's faster than taking MetroNorth since I don't have to worry about getting a cab or walking from the station but it would be nice to have another late train because a few times I've almost missed the last express bus for the night.  I've also heard on a few occasions that the last bus wasn't sent out for some odd reason.  In my case one time my bus was almost 30 minutes late. I thought I was going to have to give up and take MetroNorth but I called the depot and they confirmed that the driver was caught in traffic so I waited.

Archived