F Train Problems and Questions

Ftrainwoes

Hi guys, so I take the F train everday to and from work, from West 8th Street station to Borough Hall and honestly, service isnt completely terrible but its frequently pretty bad.

Can anyone explain WHY several F trains in a row decide to terminate at Kings Highway on a given basis? At first I thought the point was to avoid congestion or something, but how does that work if you have a row of trains waiting for a train that terminated at Kings Highway to move so it can terminate there as well. Why cant they just run to Coney Island instead of constantly dumping people at Kings Highway? The worst is when a Coney Island bound F train turns into a Kings Highway bound f train at the very last minute.

While waiting at Jay Street to go home, I notice sometimes 5 A or C trains for every 1 F train that passes by. The platform gets super crowded and theres sometimes no room to even get in. Why cant they beef up service on the F? It doesnt even have to be express service, it just needs more trains period.

Hi guys, so I take the F train everday to and from work, from West 8th Street station to Borough Hall and honestly, service isnt completely terrible but its frequently pretty bad.

Can anyone explain WHY several F trains in a row decide to terminate at Kings Highway on a given basis? At first I thought the point was to avoid congestion or something, but how does that work if you have a row of trains waiting for a train that terminated at Kings Highway to move so it can terminate there as well. Why cant they just run to Coney Island instead of constantly dumping people at Kings Highway? The worst is when a Coney Island bound F train turns into a Kings Highway bound f train at the very last minute.

Alternate rush hour trains terminate at Kings Highway, because loads on the Queens end of the F require a 4 minute headway, but the Brooklyn end has neither the demand nor the terminal capacity (at Stillwell) for the full 14-15 tph.

While waiting at Jay Street to go home, I notice sometimes 5 A or C trains for every 1 F train that passes by. The platform gets super crowded and theres sometimes no room to even get in. Why cant they beef up service on the F? It doesnt even have to be express service, it just needs more trains period.

Per the schedule, during rush hours, you should be seeing an F every 4 minutes or so at Jay Street. If you're waiting significantly longer than that, it's probably because of a delay of some sort on the F. It's a long line, so it has plenty of mileage for delays to build up on before reaching Brooklyn.

If there seem to be delays on the F, you do have the option of taking the R one stop (or walking) to DeKalb and then taking the Q. But bear in mind that the R and Q run every 6 minutes at best, so I doubt this would be faster on a regular basis unless you work closer to DeKalb than to Jay.

The F is one of the best trains in the system during rush-hour.  Around 6pm, I hardly ever have to wait more than 5 minutes for an F train at 179th St as headways are 5 minutes are less. There's sometimes a minor wait before we pull into Rockefeller Center southbound to merge/wait for an M train, but other than that it's smooth sailing all the way from 179th to Brooklyn. The ridership between Kings Hwy & Coney Island is much less than between 179th St and Kings Hwy so it doesn't need as many trains.

Google is your friend.

(F) schedule, where you can see scheduled Kings Highway trains:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/tfcur.pdf

If i were you and getting sick of this delay problem, I would walk to dekalb if you are not that far and take the (B) express to Brighton or (Q) local to West 8 Street.  There is always way to get around the system if you dont like going one way.  Too bad the (D) and (N) skip Dekalb otherwie you would have more choices to get home. 

Less than 6 years ago (it's not one of those things important enough for me to remember the dates), I was taking an (F) to Coney Island. An express (F) overtakes my (F) and terminates at Kings Highway. Then my (F) stalls at Avenue P forat least 15 minutes. Someone had a brain fart at the terminal, because I could peer back and see there was another (F) train right behind and by the length of the wait, probably another one of two (F) trains accumulating. The train terminated at Kings Highway after the other one pulled out towards Manhattan (but not before a few other trains from Coney Island went first)! The crowd that had built up were furious and there were some especially irate ones barking at the train crew. Some common sense eventually found its way up because the terminated (F) went back into service and closed its doors just as the next Coney Island-bound (F) pull into the local tracks.

I highly doubt that a longer route would be prone to delays simply because of that. If that was true, then IMO it has to do with crowding, people holding car doors open, disrupting of service due to medical assistance or federal activity, or even a breakdown. The (F) is also frequent but service isn't regular more than average (according to the Strappies in 2012). It happens with other longer and/or demanding lines.

Besides, with the (F) running between 179th and Coney Island, it shares trackage with the (E) in Queens, the (M) in Manhattan and (G) in Brooklyn. The (G) and (M) run every ten minutes or so. Though the  (E) is frequent like the (F), so that I can understand. But I don't really think the (F) would be delayed prone in Manhattan and Brooklyn, unless it runs ahead of or far from schedule if it breaks down or something else disrupts it.

I highly doubt that a longer route would be prone to delays simply because of that. If that was true, then IMO it has to do with crowding, people holding car doors open, disrupting of service due to medical assistance or federal activity, or even a breakdown. The (F) is also frequent but service isn't regular more than average (according to the Strappies in 2012). It happens with other longer and/or demanding lines.

Besides, with the (F) running between 179th and Coney Island, it shares trackage with the (E) in Queens, the (M) in Manhattan and (G) in Brooklyn. The (G) and (M) run every ten minutes or so. Though the  (E) is frequent like the (F), so that I can understand. But I don't really think the (F) would be delayed prone in Manhattan and Brooklyn, unless it runs ahead of or far from schedule if it breaks down or something else disrupts it.

The (G) is a plague on the (F) train. Northbound anyways, the conductors on the (G) always make sure that train leaves Church 2-3 minutes late...

Archived